Author Topic: Idle surge and load on engine  (Read 359 times)

Offline Brandon Engelsmeier

Idle surge and load on engine
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:52:06 pm »
So a long time ago i blew my motor tsi awd, and i pulled the engine and then ripped the head off to fin that i melted #3 piston. Now after throwing another motor in there i used the intake and exhaust manifolds from my original motor, now got everything running and connected, as far as i know.  Now got everything running, and got the idle surge once it warms up, when the cold idle kicks off, then trying to rev it up is really under stress/load and stutters around 3500rpm unless your on 100% throttle in wich it will go to redline slowly.  Now after that i tried cam angle senser, flipping it around 180degrees, and no change, then advancing it makes the surge faster, and retarded fully stops the surge but extreme load and no power.  So i thought well hey i melted a piston so there is a lot of burnt oil in the exhaust maniold so i pulle dthe 02 sensor, and replaced it, no change.  now when i pulled the spark plugs out of the old motor cylinder 3's spark plug probe/electrode thing was melted away just toast, so that leads to leaning out?? and getting to hot, maybe faulty injector??? would an injector cause those symptoms, i looked at all the vaccuum lines and seem to be all connected i know that vaccuum can do the surge, or maybe knock sensor?? any other ideas or suggestion to fixinbg my problem would be great, also other information i am running an hks ssqv BOV and all emmisions disconnected, SAFC just to monitor no changes, and other than that stock.  if you could help me out that would be cool, thanks

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 07:47:01 pm »
k, first off PARAGRAPHS!!  ;) hard to read man.

for the idlea surge, I suggest blocking off your throttle body fast idle air valve.  How to do it is outlined in the vfaq.  and your car will still idle well when cold etc. mines been done for years.

set your base timing and base idle correctly.

check your isc operation(at idle turn the wheel left and right rather quickly.  If the isc is working, it will change the idle.  Thats just a quick check.

There are lots of threads on idle surge out in the internet, have a good read.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mitch Delmer

• http://www.rmtmods.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 09:39:18 am »
I would look into those injectors, borrow a set from you brother and see if that helps, by what you say it sounds like a fueling problem.
Have you put a gauge on your fuel line to verify the pressure is correct, especially under load.  It could be a dieing fuel pump or bad fuel filter.  Always remember why your old engine died  (melted piston due to lack of fuel)  and did you do anything to fix that problem???

As for the Idle surge, its normal for dsms, you need to do what John said, block off you FIAV as they stop working.

Good luck.
mitch
991 AWD 5speed 6/4
Holset HY35, Kinetic Tubular manifold, 3"turboback, RMT FMIC, 255walbro, 780's, Maffless!!,  AEM wideband, Eprom ecu with Speed Density chip...
11.40 @ 124mph-- 1700ft elevation  
DSM's---->>>Burnin gas and haulin ass

RMT Modifications
Shop phone-->250 833 5724

Offline Joel Mezzanotte

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 04:42:03 pm »
Definitly look into the fuel filter, I had a similar problem and changing mine fixed it. I still have idle surge though, but ill get around to it ;)

Offline Brandon Engelsmeier

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 09:55:08 pm »
i tried to cahnge the fuel filter when the motor was out and the fitting was rounded out and there was no way i could get it out,

lookes like i would have had to replace a lot of that metal line to get it properly, but i never had that problem with the old motor, and for it to go all of a sudden is weird

i will try to do all as suggested as per idle and such, havent been around to working on teh car cause its kinda cold and im really busy, but hopefully everyhting works out