Author Topic: Fast Idle Air Valve Blockoff  (Read 415 times)

Offline Nate Killam

Fast Idle Air Valve Blockoff
« on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:46 pm »
hey i've been looking around,and i cant seem to find out how to do the Fast Idle Air Valve Blockoff.The one on vfaq doesnt work.If anyone can direct me in the right direction,that would be great.Thanks.
91 talon tsi awd-2.5" turboback,ported o2.(sold)

Offline Nate Killam

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 09:23:46 pm »
anyone have any links or anything that explains it well?
91 talon tsi awd-2.5" turboback,ported o2.(sold)

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:58:55 pm »
I did mine last year.  Takes a little longer to warm up is the only downside.  Basically you need to remove the throttle body, separate the two halfs, cut a piece of sheet metal down to size and insert between the two halfs along with some rtv sealant or gasket sealer.  Reinstall throttle body and bypass coolant flow.

Toughest part of it was cracking the screws loose without wrecking them.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Jesse Williams

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:08:35 am »
I also did the fiav block off.. definatly helped curb the idle surge.

I noticed the vfaq link for doing it is down also.

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:13:27 am »
If the ISC is fucntioning properly and you DIDN'T block it off like all the ass clowns in the states. Your car should warm up and fast idle just fine, as the ISC does compensate.

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:33:59 pm »
The ISC does bring it up to about 1400 or so rpm's and then slowly tapers to 750, however it's far from the 2200rpm's it used to warm up at.

I wasn't having any surge issues just found the 2200 to be too high.  It does warm up slower, but is now much quieter around the neighbourhood when starting at odd hours.
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.