Author Topic: need some advice about seal replacement and more..  (Read 247 times)

Offline Jesse Veitch

need some advice about seal replacement and more..
« on: September 20, 2006, 01:12:20 pm »
I've got all OEM parts coming to replace my T-belt, including a new crank pully and all new seals for the front of the engine, this includes

camshaft seals

Front Cover (oil pump case) Gasket

Balance Shaft Seal

Oil Pump Seal

Timing Cover Seal

Oil Filter Bracket Gasket

Front Case "O" Ring

now I've never taken on anything like this before, mostly because I've never had the tools, but I've been building on that and I'm good to start tackling just about anything..

I'd like some advice on how to properly install all of these seals, it may sound stupid, but I've never done any seal replacements before...are many of them hard to get out? any tips or tricks? do I oil any of the o-rings before installing them like I would an oil filter? do I need to remove the crank sprocket? I would imagine so, is it possible to take that off without air?

Also, the car has 95000km and it has been run on conventional oil, I want to switch to synthetic, I've heard I should run a flushing oil through before I do this, I've been planning on doing a seafoam run through the intake before I drop to oil when I do all of this work.. my question is, should I run the flushing oil before I change the seals or after? or should I just put seafoam in my oil? how long should I run seamfoam in my oil before I drop it?

...and just one more question, with a decently low milage car like this, what weight should I run?  I ran 10w-30 syntec belnd in my old dsm, is synthetic weight comparable to conventional weight? if so I'll just go 10w-30 again.

Thanks.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold