Author Topic: After market exhaust systems...  (Read 341 times)

Tim Tunshell

After market exhaust systems...
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:38:21 pm »
Hi everyone. I am new to the club but have read the board on a regular basis on and off for the last 3 years. My catalytic converter disintigrated and is plugging my muffler. I had a new converter put on for air care but didn't want a stock exhaust put back on. I have checked with Lordco, Midas and Budget but they can't seem to find an after market exhaust for my 92 awd Laser. Can they only be purchased in the States?  Anyone have a suggestion for me? Custom is way too expensive so I would like to get a pre made system if one is available locally. Sorry for the long post.

Offline Jeetinder Ghataurah

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeetinderg
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:02:19 pm »
Well EP-Racing sells an Apexi N-1 Catback for I beleive $600-$700
color=green]Widebody 95 Talon AWD 5SPD - 6-bolt motor, Evo III 16G, Walbro 255, Centerforce Clutch, FMIC, Turbo RFL BOV, Black Leather & Green Suede Interior, 2 10" subs

The only difference between a genious and and insanity is success[/color]

Offline Richard Steger

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 06:07:10 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-TURBO-BACK-EXHAUST-ECLIPSE-TALON-1g-4g63-DSM-AWD-JDM_W0QQitemZ230030560950QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33630QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check out this ebay item.  Should save about 600 bucks off local custom system.  Of course their is the risk in dealing with a seller who has only 2 feedbacks from buyers. Although he does have 86 (100%) positive from sellers. You decide.
1992 Laser AWD Turbo 6/4 bolt 5 spd. K&N, 2.5" catless exhaust, free mods...14.29 sec @ 92.24mph
Sold for sake of mortgage downpayment :-(
2003 Mazda Protege 5, sold
1995 Lexus LS400, sold
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:13:13 am »
When you say custom is too expensive what kind of custom are you talking about?  

I just pulled out my big reciept book that came with one of my cars and there's a reciept for $350 that paid for a 3" pressbent aluminized catback w/ muffler at Budget brake and muffler.  Yeah it's aluminized but that reciept was also from the end of 1999, it's 2006 now and there's nothing wrong with the catback, it's still in pretty good shape.  

If you can't afford to buck up for a 3" mandrel SS turbo back then just have a 3" pressbent aluminized made up.  Any shop can do that.  Just get some pictures of a 'normal' aftermarket 3" exhaust, it goes basically straight and has about 2 kinks in it ad hanges under the rear suspension.  I think a factory exhaust might go up over the axle but truth be told I've never seen one.   :P

Especially if there's a muffler shop around you that does V8s performance stuff.  Just bring in some pics and I can't imagine them having too much of a problem doing it.  As far as performance of a 3" pressbent catback vs 3" mandrel I bet it'd be negligible.  I've switched from my stock dp/cat/3?pressbent to a mandrel 3" turbo back, no cat and noticed a difference but it's all in the DP and cat.  Later on when you have some bucks you can always have a 3" madrel SS downpipe made.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:44:32 pm »
Quite Muffler on Kingsway right by new SaveOn Foods at middle gate, cat backs are $120-150 + muffler which are about 100. I had couple of my 1Gs done there, worked well.

That's if you want to go cheap power, otherwise nothing can beat looks and sound of HKS or Greddy.

Try this one http://www.nopionline.com/nopistore/dsp_part_detail.cfm?vmakeid=101&vmodelid=450&vcatyear=1991&vnopinum=001%2B1749&vTitle=1991%20EAGLE%20Talon