Author Topic: Help: Car Not Starting  (Read 394 times)

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

Help: Car Not Starting
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:37:13 pm »
So, as the story goes, on monday I installed my new gas tank and fired the car up. Start up took a little bit of time but as expected with fuel lines disconnected. But as I took it for a drive I realized it wasn't working correctly  was misfiring so I took it home parked for the night. Next day I dove back into, not sure where to start I made sure all connections were good and all the grounds were clean. Fired it up and she ran like a champ, so happy I drove down to a friends house because I had to take him to pick up his car. Go back out to my car, turns over but doesn't start. Try again, fires up for a few seconds then died and I blow the igntion fuse, get towed home. Today I did the fuel pump rewire to by-pass the igition system  and save money from blowing fuses. So I pretty sure I succesfully did this. Now the car will crank over and not start, doesn't blow fuses anymore like it did.

I tryed to switch back to my stocker pump in hopes it messed up and thats what problem. But apprantly not, now I am struggling to get my car running after already missing a day at work to try and fix it and not having a ride to get to work with.

Any ideas?? I am about to go try  my old fuel pump assembly and hope it works, after that I am outta ideas.
04 Honda Cr-V yay boring boring boring car......

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Re: Help: Car Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 05:03:10 pm »
Quote from: "Jaime Whittlesey"
Today I did the fuel pump rewire to by-pass the igition system  and save money from blowing fuses. So I pretty sure I succesfully did this. Now the car will crank over and not start, doesn't blow fuses anymore like it did.

VERY bad idea.  Those fuses are there to protect more expensive parts.  I suggest putting that back how it was before.  I may have misread that so maybe you could rephrase that but I take it that you bypassed your fuses here.

To answer your question, do you have a fuel pressure gauge?  If so, what does it show?  If not, I suggest getting one from Lordco for $20.  Have you checked to see if you have spark?
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:49:11 pm »
I agree, unless you know that you pinched, or cut or damaged the wires, don't bypass em.

I also agree, check for spark.  It could just be coincidence that it happened at the same time.

Always with a cranks but no start, check for spark, check for fuel pressure and check for compression.  In that order because its easiest to hardest.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:20:12 pm »
Did you check the rest of your fuses?

If you are blowing fuses there is probably an issue that needs to be solved.

As it has been stated, fuses are good for many things.  Saving parts and money, preventing fires, both of which can help save lives too.

I think you may have messed up your rewire.  Are the voltages correct as plan?  How did you wire it up explain it clearly or draw a diagram.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:45:21 am »
No, I probably mis wrote it, I said I will save myself buying them 7 dollar 30 am ignigtion fuses by rewiring the fuel pump, but it still has a inline fuse holder in the main powerline from the battery, geez, I may not be super car smart but I am smart enough to know that I would rather spend 7 dollars on a fuse then a few hundred replacing ignition components.

And an update, as I was re-examing everything I found the smallest tear in the power line that leads to the fuel pump, so I relaced the wire and it fired up. Although,  it is once again running the non-rewired stock way. But at least its running.

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 03:53:30 pm »
But on another note, after getting my car running again now my windows and my radio don't work....

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 04:06:58 pm »
you prolly blew more than one fuse
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 07:45:34 pm »
Well, I am assuming something along those lines. But my windows were woking all day long same as my radio then suddenly quit. I just haven't had time to find out the problem yet.