Author Topic: brakes for 1Gb AWD  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Nathan Craft

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:22:45 pm »
hi guys i was wondering how much would i be expecting fo pay for upgraded brakes for the tsi, i'm looking for a set of four, and prefurably a sport set not oem. let me know if anybody know's a good blace to get upgraded brakes, and how much i should expect to pay.

thx
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Mike Schmid

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 03:54:26 pm »
That's a pretty hard to answer question.  First what do you have?  2 piston or 1 piston fronts?  The 2 piston ones are the "big brakes", you should have them on a 1Gb.  

If the brakes suck it's probably because they aren't even working to the maximum of stock potential.  I'd be willing to say most brakes even on performance enthusiasts cars aren't in 100% condition.  Most people neglect them until they start squeeling or grinding, especially out back.  I know I'm guilty of this from time to time.  I never drive with unsafe brakes and they're not lacking under normal driving but if I push them hard I know they're not 100% of what they could be, which would be right on par with 90+% of the cars out there.  

Taking them apart and cleaning the slide pins and calipers and then lubing them with some proper brake lube would be a good start.  Fresh cheap fluid performs better than old performance fluid.  A thorough brake bleed and new fluid should help alot.  Same as an engine, you do't start swapping turbos and cranking the boost until you've done a tune up and the engine is running right.  

From there how much extra stopping power do you want?  Some good pads and SS lines along with fresh fluid should make a noticible change.  There's been some threads on here regarding performance pads on stock brakes, look them up for some good brands.  

Other than that you'd have to start searching for actual rotor and caliper upgrades.  I have AEM larger rotors on one car.  They use the stock caliper.  The next step up from there would be a 4 piston caliper, preferably with quick-change pads.  Stoptech, Brembo and Wilwood are some good names.  Wilwood, according to their site, doesn't offer a 1G brake kit tho.  The others I looked at quick but didn't see a quick guide.  People have done custom stuff before tho, do some digging, maybe send some emails to some companies and do some other searching, there are other brands out there too.

The next step after that is going to be to get custom.  Do some custom machining and fabrication and you could put in somethig like 6 piston fronts on 13"+ rotors, dual master cylinders with an adjustable bias bar, upgrade the rears to some high end 2 pistons or even 4 on 12"+ rotors.  You'd need all new lines and brake pressure guages to get it all setup.  

Costs would range from a few hundred for lines/pads/fluid to real money ($3000ish) for a brake/rotor upgrade to serious money and time (probably $8000+ and a ton of hours) to go all out.  On a Porsche 911 turbo the carbon/carbon brake option is like $25,000, that's on top of the usual high performance 4 piston brakes. Stopping costs money, how fast do you want to stop?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 05:18:05 pm »
The most common upgrade is a set of powerslot rotors and some performance pads, like Hawk HP pads or something.  This is a decently good setup for a street car but you haven't said what your intended use is.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Matt Mann

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
I have the power slot rotors and Hwak performance pads, and I love them, they work well for street use and when the odd time you have to brake FAST! But ya what is your intention with the car?  then go from there on brakes.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Trevor Germuth

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 08:19:10 pm »
Last I checked Ziggy on ca.dsm could get a custom mount that would let one put mustang front brakes on their car quite easily.  

Would be much more affordable than a name brand BB kit but I am not sure how much of a difference it would be.

Mike said it all best.
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Mike Schmid

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:26 am »
Quote from: "Trevor Germuth"
Last I checked Ziggy on ca.dsm could get a custom mount that would let one put mustang front brakes on their car quite easily.  

Would be much more affordable than a name brand BB kit but I am not sure how much of a difference it would be.

The thing is it'll be the difference between being a kit and not being a kit.  You can get Brembo, AP, Stoptech, Baer, etc etc for cars like Mustangs.  Despite the rather healthy aftermarket for 1Gs they're really lacking in brake options.  I've done a little more looking, Baer offers a kit, but it looks like a 2 piston, and Stoptech offers a 4 piston setup.  AP and Brembo only offer 2G kits.  AEM offers the stock caliper relocation and bigger rotor kit.  

Post back here if any of y'all hear for sure about those brackets, I'd like to know about it.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jesse Veitch

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 12:32:49 pm »
now I'm too lazy to go look right now, but I do remember the thread about the mustang brakes, someone put new cobra rotors and calipers on his car for ~$600 that's not bad at all.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Jesse Veitch

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:15:49 pm »
k so I was interested myself by this cause I coudln't remember if you could do it to a 2g aswell so I found it:

http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4946&highlight=mustang+brakes
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline John Hartman

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 10:13:05 pm »
Nick Boers in Ontario builds an adapter setup to run Cobra brakes on a DSM.  He also has a setup that is bigger than 93-94 big brakes and cheaper than the Cobra setup.

If you search at DSM Canada, you will find it.  Still more expensive than a set of 2 pot calipers/rotors/pads however.

Biggest problem is finding new calipers that don't require the correct cores in return.

I agree with Mike, service your setup, put in new fluid, put on stainless lines and run some Porterfield R4s or Hawk street pads.  It will make a huge difference.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Trevor Germuth

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 11:49:50 pm »
In light of the correct core return...... Say one pays cash for these new stang calipers. Goes home swaps em out and throws the DSM ones in the box...

Goes back to where he bought em a few days later, talks to someone else maybe.  Here are some cores, here is my reciept, gimme my $$.  Than you walk out with your core charge back.

Around here I know at least everyone just checks the box to see if it really is an alternator, starter, caliper etc, etc.  Dont really check for markings or w/e to see if it really was from what it is for.

I know this could really screw with the said company that you bought your parts from but.....ya.

Am I being a dick thinking like that??
2 Talon Tsi- AWD, 6/4 bolt

92 Talon Tsi Fwd  - Kn Filter, RMT Fmic, Performace Auto 3" Exhaust, HKS SSQV, Maft+3.5" maf, Greddy Profec B Spec II, 02 dump   -Sold

91 JZA70 Targa Toyota Supra -3" Trust cat back, HKS BOV, 1JZ-GTE

1992 Ford F-150 - I6, 4x4, 5 spd, Canopy

Offline Nathan Craft

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:42:36 am »
sorry it took so long to post guys. i'm not looking for track preformance on anything (not like i have that much cash) i want somthing just a litle more responsive than stock.
the brakes on the car are majorly rusty and are actually deteriorating due to lack of care from the previous owner. the cobra setup sounds nice. but that might cost more than i would like to spend right now on one thing. , i still have to paint the car and do i litle more to the Tsi before i start dunping stuff like 8k into it.
decent crossdrilled rotors and a set of calipers are what i'm looking for, and yes they're 2 piston.
98 Eclipse Spyder
-Talon Conversion
-AWD swap in progress :D

"Owning a DSM is like dating a stripper, sure it's fun to show off and ride every so often, but in the end it'll break your heart"

Offline Eric Ringrose

brakes for 1Gb AWD
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 01:27:31 pm »
if your calipers are rusty or seized or leaking, replace them for sure. that will help, especially when you get new pads/rotors on. Pads are going to be the deciding factor here, new stock pads will be better than what you're running now, but there are other options. A lot of people recomend the Hawk pads, I've heard a lot of bad things too, but they're cheap enough to be worth trying. slotted/drilled rotors may help, but I know the best brakes I've used have been OEM vented rotors and at $30 each as apposed to $100+ each they're fine for me.

check these guys out http://www.carbotecheng.com/main.htm I run those pads on my sentra and they're pretty amazing. Lots of dust and they squeal like hell, but they stop like crazy on OEM nx2000 calipers/rotors.(equivelant to your 2 piston dsm big brakes)

mike pretty much summed up everything in the 2nd post :)