Author Topic: Convertible top cleaning  (Read 252 times)

Damian Bujas

Convertible top cleaning
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:17:52 am »
What do you guys use to clean the top and seal it from water?

I don't want to wash of the protective coating.

Thanks

Offline John Hartman

Convertible top cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 06:51:37 pm »
I didn't know there was a protective coating on them.  I detailed a few convertibles from new Benzes to old Sunbirds. Nothing special went on them.  No leaks reported by the owners(well except the Sunbird would leak like all J-body ragtops, but not THRU the top fabric)

If there are stains, hit them with some sort of spray stain remover then just wash it as you would wash the car.

Maybe there is some sort of top dressing you can get, but I remember we had a guy with a Caddy that wanted something special for his top and we had to order it in.  Took several weeks thru a detail supply outfit.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Johnny_Tran

Convertible top cleaning
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:04:33 pm »
first vaccuum it really well then scrub it out with a soapy stain remover....
oh its gotta be really dry also..

then after ur done cleaning washing it let it dry and spray a few layers of rag top protectant on it and it should be protected from everything for 6 months.