Author Topic: Any way of making 1ga headlights fully operational without poping up?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

anyway to modify that plastic lens infront of the glass sealed beam to alow better light to shine thru? or disable the motors and somehow make the high beams stay on thru the lens so they are as bright as regular low beams? I hate the pop ups but dont want 1gb headlights lol...there has to be a happy medium, like I wanna keep them down but have them function like regular headlights...here is my idea...
modify the plastic housing somehow and remove the inner side of the lens (there is 2 sides too it, correct?) and get the h4 conversion and throw some 4000k hid's in there and also get the same hid's as my fog lights... I THINK that would work??? anyone done this? or something along these lines to keep those 1ga's popless.... lol
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Mark Guthrie

im sure it could be done but how much light there actually going to put out... im guessing wont be much
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline Shane Sawatzki

hmm...I might attempt it in the next month or so...gotta order the non sealed beams from ebay...alot cheaper than lordco... :| and a 2nd set of plastic lens incase I mess mine right up lol...but I figure with a dremel and some time...I can take out the inner side of the plastic lens and with an HID shining thru I dont see how it will be worse the what i have...lol stock sealed beams regular halagons lol and 1 is burnt out...so i only have 1 halogen low beam LOL. its brutal...my little yellow fogs put out more light than my headlights right now.
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Mike Schmid

Cutting out the inside lens won't make any difference.  It's really thin clear plastic, it has no texturing or anything.  Plus it'll probably make it worse because the front lens will be forever filled with water and condensation.  Without some fairly major surgery to the front end of the car you won't expose enough of the reflector to really do anything. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Shane Sawatzki

hmmm the condensation wont be hard to stop...I have a plan for it...im going to execute it soon and let you guys noe...I think it will work...
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Kristopher

Your light pattern is going to be messed up.
You can make your headlights stay down and put the Hi Beams on. I've done it and my car still works this way - the pop up switch is the only thing that can make the lights go up/down. Anyway, even on Hi the light output sucks. Looking at the car is hella bright, and from inside the car the only thing that lights up is signage.
Kristopher

Offline Drew Sale

agreed. if you take a dremel to the inside of the lens it'll screw up the light pattern. they're manufactured to precise specs to insure that the light that passes through them is consistent and focused. if you tamper with that i wouldn't be surprised if it looked MUCH worse
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Well not so much take a dremel to the inside but take the inner piece off and close the signal chamber so no condensation gets in the signal portion. and then getting a H.I.D high beam kit and runnin it with the lights down so they are really bright...Im trying to obtain the same light out put with the lights down as with the lights up. dont care what I have to do, ass far as modifications, or aftermarker h.i.d projector kits w.e bottom line is I want to do this and Ill try it...not saying im going to pull it off but im going to give her a shot.
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Kristopher

I think my point was missed. Look at your headlights after pulling the signal lense out completely. Only half of it will be exposed and therefore it's a moot point about how much light output you have. The *focus* will be wrong and it won't light up what you need it to do. It's far too easy to hit dogs and kids on a dark highway in this configuration. Putting more power at it will just piss other drivers off and does virtually nothing to help you see.

What I do with mine is run them properly with the lights up at night, but in the daytime or cruising into a show I'll keep them down and use the Hi Beams to make the signal lenses glow. But the stock sealed beams suck so I see your frustration. The best option is to get a nice H4 kit and go with a GE Nighthawk bulb. Factory fogs might make it seem like you can see more but the reality is they don't extend far enough. Instead they make your pupils dialate thus making it even more difficult to see into the crappy stock headlight pattern.

This is a good bit of info here.
As is here @ Daniel Stern's Lighting
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:42:08 pm by Kristopher Rozon »
Kristopher

Offline Shane Sawatzki

hmmm Im starting to see yourpoint...hmm maybe ill just get an h4 kit, put a h.i.d kit in it...then get some stock fog light lights because my stockers are gone...and put h.i.d's in the foglights...so I have 4 bright h.i.ds on the front end...and like you say...have them up at night only i guess:S I wish there was some sort of an aftermarket lens to go in place of the stock plastic signal and headlight lens...like a perfectly clear model...hmmmmmmmmmm maybe some more research is in store
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Kristopher

oh btw, there is a diode in the passenger kick panel you can remove so you can turn the headlights ON without making them pop up. There are really only two reasons to do this though since our DRLs keep the Low Beams on constantly anyway. First is that you can run the Hi Beams while down, the second is why I like them - somebody steals my car and the headlights are stuck down making it very difficult to see the road. I don't care if they try the Hi Beams either since they don't do squat :)
Kristopher

Offline Mike Schmid

Kristopher is right about the focus issue, which is what I was alluding to in my post.  The brightest bulbs in the world are junk without the proper reflector in the proper position.  You can play with this for yourself if you go in a dark room with mag-lite type flashlight.  Screw the end in and out, then take it off all together and see the differences in the output. 

Back when I had my pop up car I looked at this too but it's just not going to be easy without serious surgery because the trim pieces and the hood on the lights cover up most of the top of the reflector which is what puts the light down on the road where you need it. 

I can't remember what the lights work like stock but I put a dual filament orange bulb in the signal light location, then wired it so it was on all the time.  Then I had the whole light cluster lit up, I also put orange bulbs in the corner lights in both spots.  I think it looked pretty good.  One thing I did consider was that orange signal light repair tape, on the inside of the light cluster nearest the headlight itself, that would turn the headlight's light orange when the lights are down so the whole cluster would light up orange.  I never did it tho because I was worried about it looking dumb with the headlight part staying orange when the car was shut off. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Zach Holt

Im going to whip up a set with one 6000tho and one 8000tho so their twins 8000tho for low and 6000tho for high. so thats light blue for low and and white for high. ill gigger it out cant be imposable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.