Author Topic: Boost Question  (Read 600 times)

Offline Michel Paiement

• Boom!
Boost Question
« on: August 17, 2008, 09:05:11 pm »
Don't know if anyone can help me out with this, when I punch the gas, my boost climbs up to 20lbs and then levels out to 15lbs after. What are some possible solutions?

Offline Dave Kish

Re: Boost Question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:24:20 pm »
your getting boost spike. You wastegate is your problem. Do you have a mbc yet. if not you should get one

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »
Shitty boost controller most likely
Could be a ton of things

Eliminate your boost controller and see if it boost creeps on stock.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Michel Paiement

• Boom!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:17 pm »
I got the boost controller from kinetic, maybe its shitty i don't know. The turbo is brand new T28 from forced performance, ill hook up the wastgate to the turbine housing and see what happens. Has anyone had problems with kinetic mbc before?

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:52:42 pm »
boost creep. you can port the wastegate opening to reduce it. Are you using a cat? I only got creep when I took mine out and ran straight thru.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Michel Paiement

• Boom!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:59:34 pm »
I have a cat, I have been doing some reading, most people with boost creep, tend to have the problem after boosting for a while then have the boost creep up. Its weird with mine because it will spike then level out after.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 01:51:27 am »
My understanding is a boost spike is where the boost comes on fast, shoots high then falls back.  Like what you have. 

Boost creep is where it jumps up to the set level then slowly rises as you stay on boost instead of holding steady like it should. 

How is your MBC plumbed in?  How long are the lines?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Michel Paiement

• Boom!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:20:41 am »
My understanding is a boost spike is where the boost comes on fast, shoots high then falls back.  Like what you have. 

Boost creep is where it jumps up to the set level then slowly rises as you stay on boost instead of holding steady like it should. 

How is your MBC plumbed in?  How long are the lines?

I figured that I had the lines to long before, I was able to cut a foot out of the lines, I now have it mounted right by the rad so its short now, I have the lines going from the wastgate to the bottom of the mbc, the side port with the small hole in it on the mbc goes to the turbine housing port. After I shorten the lines it seemed to solve the problem the first time I hit the throttle, but after a couple tries it was back to the same thing.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 02:09:42 pm »
What boost source are you using? 

Is the MBC clean too?  Mine wasn't working very well at all one day so I pulled it all apart and it looked pretty clean but I cleaned it anyways with some brake clean to get any oily residue off and it worked like a charm again. 

DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Josh Letkeman

• WANNA GO FASTER!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:14:34 pm »
If its spiking like that it my be the hole in the MBC is to big or small not sure of which one but Travis has that same problem.

Josh
1991 Talon AWD TSI- HKS intake, upper front strut bar,  16G turbo, upgraded fuel pump (i think), UICP (HKS), and Koni yellow adjustable skocks.- Silvery gold...ish.  (totaled dead :()

Offline Michel Paiement

• Boom!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 01:46:06 pm »
A guy from my work let me borrow a mbc he had (turbo xs) never had a hole drilled in it. I did not like that one because if i was just cruising it would start building boost, I could not get on the throttle with out my knock sensor wanting to climb to the top. I had that one set to 15psi. What mbc have people had good luck with?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 08:15:21 pm »
its not creep, its spike.  The small bleed hole in the mbc is probably blocked or didn't get drilled out all the way.

Or there is a crack or other source of lost pressure in one of the lines to or from the controller.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods