Author Topic: oil coming from somewhere?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Morgan Lekstrom

oil coming from somewhere?
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »
Hello again, my oil is hitting the hood somehow right above my timing belt yet my timing belt is clean and clear and doesnt have any oil on it.  I think my auto tenioner has a leak as when i start up it sounds almost like a fan belt squeel yet i dont have a fan belt!! lol..  well i replaced my oil cap and replaced my rad cap.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport, black, on 35's

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Re: oil coming from somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04:00 am »
dipstick popping?
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:49:58 am »
i bet its a cam seal, crank seal, front or rear b-shaft/oil pump seal. 

I have had it where it leaks from that area....  but esspecially without a upper timing belt cover on there to oil gets flung from the belt so it appears to be dry..  If the oil if all splattered right above the timing belt its for sure coming from somwhere in that area.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:21:44 pm »
The timing belt can't squeel.  It has teeth, if it does any slipping too you'll know it because if you're lucky the car will run like garbage and if you're not you'd have heard a couple loud thumps and it won't start ever again after that. 

Also, if the tensioner is leaking... well, see above, plus the tensioner is only the size of a finger.  It can't have much more than a tablespoon of oil in it total. 

The squeeling will be the other belts.  Even though you don't have a fan belt there is an accessory belt, A/C belt and power steering belt.  One of them is doing it.  If it only started recently if could be A/C because it'll come on with the defroster setting that you probably just recently started using. 

How's the blow-by?  I'd say you have a leaking either form the dipstick popping out, the oil cap leaking or something like the front main leaking and slinging opl of the pulleys.  But the front main, or the cam seals should get oil all over the t belt too. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:23:31 pm by Mike Schmid »
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*