Author Topic: Stalled Car and engine would not Crank ~!!!  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Sy Haw Wong

Stalled Car and engine would not Crank ~!!!
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:27:54 pm »
Today I was working on my car, and I decided to start the car.  I forgot that I put the car in 1st gear and when I cranked the car it stalled like it should.  Then I put it back into Neutral and tried to start it again and it wouldn't start ~!!!

I checked the battery first and it was fine.  Then I ended up having to push start the car to get her running again.  Afterwards, the car seems normal and can start for a while.  I had the car sit for about 30min and tried to start it...again no dice.

Any idea if this is indications of a dead starter???  Or what would be the best method to diagnose this problem?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:57:47 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Nathan Townsend

Re: Stalled Car and engine would not Crank ~!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:17:33 pm »
did it turn over when you tried to start it, or make any clicking noises or was it just completely dead?  did all the dash lights come on?
'97 Talon TSI AWD - Evo 3 16g/ETS FMIC/650cc/Walbro 255 re-wired/aeromotive FPR/DSMLink/tubular exh. mani/greddy type s bov/fidanza flywheel/ACT 2600 6 puck/3" exhaust/18" rims
'90 Laser RS Turbo FWD - commuter

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »
did it turn over when you tried to start it, or make any clicking noises or was it just completely dead?  did all the dash lights come on?

Battery was good.  I still had power.  It made clicking and whirring sounds.  All the dash lights popped up, and the gauges needles all moved when i tried to crank it.  But the engine itself did not crank.

Could also be the alternator.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:37:14 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »
Doesn't sound like an alternator... You'd have a dead battery if it was so.

How old is the battery? I would suggest further tests on it - See if you can find someone to load test it. It could be putting out correct or close to correct voltage, with reduced amperage.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »
Doesn't sound like an alternator... You'd have a dead battery if it was so.

How old is the battery? I would suggest further tests on it - See if you can find someone to load test it. It could be putting out correct or close to correct voltage, with reduced amperage.

No it is not the battery for sure.  I did a voltage test with a multimeter and it read 12.3.  Then I had my neighbor come and give me a jump.  Still couldn't crank it.  I had to push start it in order to get her going.  But yes.  I should have gotten a load test on my car, but I did not seeing that it ran well for the past two weeks.  I really regret that mistake now.

Offline Jon Rabeneck

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:38:44 pm »
I forgot that I put the car in 1st gear and when I cranked the car it stalled like it should.

Sounds like a good way to kill your starter... to test, just remove it and hook it up to 12V, most likely it will start then with no load, and an easy 12V running through it, if the problem persists, id start browsing for a new starter... compare prices with your discount at all local shops and then check online and price it out

i was lucky and when i "killed" my starter, i took it apart and just needed to replace the brushes, $12 vs $80+
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:44:48 pm by Jon Rabeneck »
[Dwight Schrute]:
I am fast. To give you a reference point, I'm somewhere between a snake and a mongoose. And a panther.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:58 pm »
Yeah sounds like a starter problem.  Could stem from just a loose wire going to the starter.
Be a nice guy and give ur eclipse the reach around!  Reach around the intake manifold that is and feel to see if the wires are loose.

Use your multimeter and test to make sure that the IGN wire that goes to the starter is getting power when you turn the ket to crank the engine over.  If its getting power then your starter is the problem.

Luckily a starter is fairly easy to do.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:26 pm »
The clicking sound it the starter solenoid .......a full 12v under load to required .....
Faulty starter solenoid.....I once changed the solenoid on my Laser TSI and it cured the problem...
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
The clicking sound it the starter solenoid .......a full 12v under load to required .....
Faulty starter solenoid.....I once changed the solenoid on my Laser TSI and it cured the problem...

Thanks Dan.

Wanna drop by tomorrow to have a quick peek if you got time?!  I think its better to get a direct second opinion to better identify the problem.
The car did click but didn't go clicking.  It clicked once, whirred (think that is the fuel pump) and saw the lights and gauges moved, but then it would not crank.

:-\  I would like to get a better verification prior to sourcing and ordering any parts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:59:27 pm by Sy Haw Wong »

Offline Nathan Townsend

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:44:47 am »
No it is not the battery for sure.  I did a voltage test with a multimeter and it read 12.3.
if your alternator is working properly, I think you should be reading closer to 14v under load (while the car is running)
'97 Talon TSI AWD - Evo 3 16g/ETS FMIC/650cc/Walbro 255 re-wired/aeromotive FPR/DSMLink/tubular exh. mani/greddy type s bov/fidanza flywheel/ACT 2600 6 puck/3" exhaust/18" rims
'90 Laser RS Turbo FWD - commuter

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:06 am »
yep, under load, 13.5-14.5 volts is normal.

Try it jump starting the car, as the battery may be strong enought to run lights and blow the horn, but not enough to engage the starter and turn the engine.

It may be other things as well, but get this sorted out first.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 10:51:34 am »
yep, under load, 13.5-14.5 volts is normal.

Try it jump starting the car, as the battery may be strong enought to run lights and blow the horn, but not enough to engage the starter and turn the engine.

It may be other things as well, but get this sorted out first.

Thanks John.

I just popped outside and tested the battery it was at 12.3V cold.
Then I tried cranking the car again.  Now it cranks!  Tested the alternator and it ran about 14.2V.

Now that it runs, I am going to see if I can take her to CanTi to do a load test to test the alternator, battery and starter's health.  Prior to any decisions.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:15:45 am »
Yeah for sure sounds like the starter has a dead spot.  Soilnoid is probably fine, just the starter is no good.

The new starter will come with a new soilnoid as well.  Unless you feel like taking your old starter apart and it could just be lots of crap/electrical dust inside of it clogging up the brushes or something.

I have taken non-working starters apart, cleaned them, re-assembled and gotten a couple more years of service out of them.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 11:17:23 am »
I have a spare 1g starter...but I don't know if it fits 2g.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 12:59:06 pm »
Okay guys.  Results came in after going to CanTi.

A GOOD health pass.

Battery GOOD:
Voltage 12.83V
Capacity: 574 CCA
Rating: 580CCA

Starter Test:

Cranking Normal
Abg Volt: 11.11V
Crank Time 693ms

Charging System - No Problems

No Load @ 14.10V
Load @13.91V
Ripple is normal

At this point I was talking to one of the service counter advisors.  He said it is probably the starter wearing out.  The brush is probably worn uneven and stopped at a point where there was no contact due to wear.  Only when I push started the car, it might have hopped to a part of the brush with contact.  Which kinda made sense to me.

Regardless I think I am going to get a new starter.....

For the Alternator...totally weird...no problems....  I am also going to take my battery receipt from Lordco from 1 year ago to see if I can get the battery replaced or exchanged, as I think it might not be a properly rated battery for my car...that is what's causing the odd CCA.

Fun times.

Thanks guys for all your help and advice.