Author Topic: Starting Issues (Timing? AEM CAL file issues?)  (Read 7916 times)

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
Re: Starting Issues (Anybody have a 1G CAS I can borrow)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:30 am »
Took the COP setup off last night and threw a stock coil pack (thanks Jason) and plug wires on. I did test the wires and verified i have spark. I only tested cylinder 4 for spark, figured the rest are ok. Keep it simple right?

Thanks for the offer Dan, but my CAL file started like stock before as well, and each car is different. I think it could be in the CAL file but your startup calibration would be different than mine almost for sure.

John: Yes i pulled injector back (against the firewall) and killed the injectors, turned it over with some unburnt fuel in it (because it was flooding) and she backfired through the intake manifold, blew off my silicone coupler that was just sitting (not tightened) on the TB actually (and scared the hell out of Trish, which was awesome). That clearly tells me it's a timing thing. I've got spark as my intake valve is open. She never fired when the injectors were disconnected, backfired and blew out the remaining fuel in the chamber though.

My coolant temperature sensor reads properly, that i can tell in the EMS, didn't have my laptop there last night but Sunday night it was reading 11C, which is about right as my AIT sensor read 13C.

Mike: I tried the CAS in both possible settings, but i'll check for the dot or arrow on the housing, i've never noticed before. That'll get it in straight anyways. So i can set the motor to TDC (lineup the timing marks with #1 and TDC) and the housing and dowel should line up when it goes into the cam slots. Learn something new every day.

I think that I'll have to check it when I can to see if everything is lining up. Jason agreed with me last night, it sounds funny when starting. Almost like it's starting too quickly. Although it could just be the optima redtop with plenty of coldcranking amps and a fresh motor? I'm not sure.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
Re: Starting Issues (Timing? AEM CAL file issues?)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 10:52:54 am »
Attaching my AEM CAL file here. If anybody with more experience than I wants to take a look at this, perhaps i am missing something in the initial timing setup or the fuel map for the startup calibration.

Disclaimer: Do not download this CAL file to your EMS and try to start your car, it may not work, it may work, or it may blow up your car.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 11:25:02 am »
Ryan you can try this, use Compare to check what I did.

Basically you had your timing set to ATDC during cranking then in the start table you have it add a bit (but if it won't start then it's a moot point). I set it to 15* at cranking where mine seems to fire best. There was also a lot of extra fuel you were adding during cranking and startup so I removed some that way.

Otherwise at first glance it all looks pretty decent.
Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:54 pm »
AEM seems to be a big problem, sorry to say.  From Wally's car, to Zachs, to this and several others.  Seems to be a pain more than its worth.  At least from this side anyways.

They still sell tons of them so they must work better than this.

Ryan, backfires thru the intake make me say recheck your cam timing.  Thats also freshly done too, and you may have put something where its not supposed to go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 05:50:30 pm by John Hartman »
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 05:12:18 pm »
AEM seems to be a big problem, sorry to say.  From Wally's car, to Zachs, to this and several others.  Seems to be a pain more than its worth.  At least from this side anyways.

Ryan, backfires thru the intake make me say recheck your cam timing.  Thats also freshly done too, and you may have put something where its not supposed to go.

+1
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 10:25:33 pm »
I always liked my AEM equipped cars, and my only real complaint was the longer starting time.  Now that multi tooth trigger discs are available they will start like stock and give more accurate timing.  That being said, before you install a standalone ECU you should ask yourself why you actually need one.  99% of street cars can get by with DS-MAP.  On a 2G I'd gut the stock ECU for the connector and build a 2G -> 1G jumper harness.  Alternatively if it has a 6 bolt engine already, just use a whole 1G engine harness.

92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 11:22:22 pm »

I've never had a problem wthi my AEM. knock on wood. kinda lost why my names there. I've had cop problems and fuse problems. thats about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:32 am »
AEM is tough to learn cause of really poor instructions.
Its like trying to mod a car from the owners manual..

Tried using AEM phone support once and couldn't understand their English...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:49:50 am by daniel Dee »
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Matt Demick

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 04:20:49 pm »
A lot of the obvious answers have already been posted. But there are 2 set of harness connectors on the firewall of your car that have the same female and male connectors. it can be very easy to plug them into each other wrong. I had done this 4 years ago when doing a motor swap and had similar problems as you are having. Worth a try
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
Sorry Zach, I thought you were having issues getting your car to run right with the EMS.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:18:27 pm »
found the problem, long story short my exhaust cam practically seized up, causing something to happen, made the belt jump on the crank pulley significantly (about 40% a rotation). No wonder it wouldn't start. #2,3,4 cam caps are massively scored as is the cam, basically ground the shit out of each other. Usually due to either dirt (it's a fresh build that hasn't run) or no oil (it has oil and I put it together with assembly oil), or it was too tight (machine shop screwed up measuring it).

Head is off and back to the machine shop. Even he doesn't know what happened. pretty sure he screwed up. Going to hone the channel in the head and caps, and try to fix up the cam, sketchy on that one as it's pretty deep. Might new a new cam.

On the bright side, glad I found it now. If it did start all the shaved metal from the cam and caps would have royally fucked everything else in the engine and my turbo, and by the time I found it the head and cam would have been unsavable for sure, probably damaged my ball bearing catridge badly.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 06:20:17 pm »
And she hasn't even started up yet! God I hate these cars lol

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 07:06:43 pm »
Ah bummer dude.

I was hoping it was something a bit more simple.
Kristopher

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 07:15:46 pm »
glad you got it sorted out tho, now it can be fixed. Fighting all that electrical would never have fixed it.

did you spin up the oil pump drive before you timed it?

We have to figure out how it frigged itself so it doesn't happen again, or to my engine  :)

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:22:22 pm »
I've come across bent cams before that screwed me in a similar fashion. Now before I reassemble the head with lifters I install the cams and torque the caps then spin them to ensure everythings rotating smoothly