Author Topic: Starting Issues (Timing? AEM CAL file issues?)  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Lowell Foo

• Racing Greed
Re: Starting Issues (Timing? AEM CAL file issues?)
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 08:32:21 pm »
Scored cam bearings on a brand new build sounds like the wrong caps were installed on the head.  Even a bent cam won't cause enough drag to skip the timing belt.

92 Laser AWD, 50 trim, 494whp
92 Talon AWD, 50 trim, 11.55 @ 127mph w/ 399whp.
90 Talon AWD, 11.40 @ 123 ~ 10 years ago.  Currently in storage.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 09:43:52 pm »
I think your right Lowell, they don't look right to be honest, the gaps on the side don't match up. Unfortunately I didn't verify the caps when I bought the head (core).

If the caps don't fit properly, ie: they are from another head because they don't line up, the head is pretty much hooped eh? Not something that can be machines.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
I have a bare, clean, pressure checked G6 head that I have started to port.  It needs guides and your hardware, but its a head that has matching caps on it.  You are welcome to have it for what I have in it money wize should you need it.  I didn't have time for that one, so I just built the head off'n my Talon, and its done.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »
I have a bare, clean, pressure checked G6 head that I have started to port.  It needs guides and your hardware, but its a head that has matching caps on it.  You are welcome to have it for what I have in it money wize should you need it.  I didn't have time for that one, so I just built the head off'n my Talon, and its done.

If this one doesn't work out I may take you up on that.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 09:01:10 am »
I've come across bent cams before that screwed me in a similar fashion. Now before I reassemble the head with lifters I install the cams and torque the caps then spin them to ensure everythings rotating smoothly

I started second guessing myself when I put my motor together on whether or not I got the caps back in the right orientation and order so I did the same because it was apart for so long.  For future reference they do spin real easy and smooth with no lifters in. 

Bummer though.  Might be able to line hone it back into shape or something but I don't know how much material you can remove before you need to put some back and I also don't know if there's any bearings available to fix that if you need that.  That's one area an old V8 is nicer than these, at least if you wipe out a cam you can put in new bearings and you don't wreck the casting. 
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:02 pm »
I'm glad you found it Ryan. The worst part is not knowing!

991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 04:00:35 pm »
So the Damage is:  1 set of bent, brand new Ferrea SS valves and dings on my pistons. Not to mention the cam which was ground to hell and the cam channel and cap that were ground up. Good news is the cam polished out and the head is at the machine shop, should be getting fixed, provided they don't find any other problems.

Here's the pictures of the pistons, iphone camera isn't that great...

So i'll have the head back tommorow or next week, seeing as i can't find an intake set of Ferrea valves I decided to just upgrade to 1mm oversized Nitrided valves. Valves should be getting seated early next week and hopefully should have it back by next weekend to go back together. It's no big deal, just throw more money and better parts at it, right?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 06:26:40 pm »
just gonna clean up the divots in the pistons? I would.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12:43 pm »
just gonna clean up the divots in the pistons? I would.

When I bent some valves *cough* twice :-[  all I did was took a dremel and flatten/grinded off any protruding metal bits. No issues after that was done

PS Nice shiny pitons you have ;) lol
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2009, 12:02:07 am »
So did the shop/guy that did the machining/building own up to being at fault?

Or is it your fault for not having the right caps to start with?  Hopefully you dont have to pay for all this out of your own pocket.  Either way it sucks ass to have a blown engine and not even see it run.

Did you do the assembly of the engine?  If not whoever did should have noticed the cam caps did not match up properly and that the cam was seizing before he sent it off to you as complete.

Good luck on getting it all back together working properly again!

I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 03:34:28 pm »
So, after the first machine shop not being able to figure out what's wrong, they sent it to heads unlimited for repair, who also can't figure out whats wrong. Worse is that the head isn't repairable, heads unlimited won't even touch it.

Worser (not english i know, but roll with it) is that the intake cam was also scored just as bad as the exhaust side. I didn't notice because i didnt bother to pull it out after i took the exhaust cam out. Both shops say it's the head that's the problem, but don't know why. Cam caps are correctly done, cams don't appear to be bent, and i spun both cams in the head myself before i put the motor together, so i know they were spinning fine.

I'm quite confused at this point, but it's clear i'll need a new head. Which means all the port work has to be done again, valve seating, need new seals and valves. I've got valves on the way, hopefully here today.

To say i'm confused, worried and annoyed would be an accurate statement.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
ballsack suckage to be sure  :(

Can the cams be saved?

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »
Looks like it, cross my fingers

Offline Ryan Lore

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »
Wait, you never said you had spun the cams when you assembled the head.

Tell me you bled down the lifters so they were all compressed before you bolted the cam caps down.

Lifters at full extension could cause piston contact and the timing belt to skip. As for the scored cams maybe that happened after everything bent up?

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 11:01:59 am »
I did spin them, with the machine shop guy.

I did bleed the lifters, i remember you telling me that many moons ago, but the more i think about it, the more i think i didn't bleed them properly. I think i bled fluid out, but possibly not the air, i don't remember (this WAS a year ago) compressing the lifters, I just remember hitting the internal valve. Maybe i didn't bleed them properly, would explain why the cams are ground down on the cam caps, the lifters weren't letting the cam lobe depress the lifter i suppose?