Author Topic: new Nexen N9000, any body running them?  (Read 6980 times)

Offline Matt LaFrance

new Nexen N9000, any body running them?
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »
i just was in the market for some new rubber and stumbled upon the neXen N9000, their latest high performance tire and because of a budget opted to give them a try. also i was hearing very good things about them. has anybody ran this tire, and does anybody have a review for them?

96 talon tsi ... deceased rip 

Dat dang DSM just done gone an smoked my mustang!?!?

Offline darrenCHANDRA

Re: new Nexen N9000, any body running them?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »
im running them rite now...there pretty good,,they hold air even after going over pot holes and stuff. i drive the car as if i had stock tires, havnt had any problems yet

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:51:52 pm »
if you are more about looks and being able to have low profile tires, they will do fine.

If you want a little bit of performance out of them, they should be ok for that too.

If you want actual performance rubber, they will fall amazingly short.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:00:00 am »
Nexen... NOPE!

There's 'smart' budget tires. And there's 'cheap' budget tires. These are just cheap.

I won't recommend the top tier of summer tires to anyone who doesn't use them competitively - Most people simply don't need it.
However, there a number of competent summer tires out there that are well known, tested, and cheap.

The Tire Rack is a great place to do your own research into tires, but they don't carry everything.
Two tires I would recommend are the Kumho Ecsta SPT and the BFG G-Force Sport. The Kumho is likely a bit cheaper than the BFG, although both will be priced slightly above the Nexens you're looking at.

(Just to confirm... You have a set of 'winter' wheels/tires, right? Even if they're just all seasons? Because while you CAN run summer rubber year round in our climate, it's extremely stupid, IMHO, to do so. Summer tires lose a great deal of their grip when temperatures drop close to the freezing mark. If these are going to be your one and only set of tires, DO NOT get summer tires)
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Matt LaFrance

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »
Yes of course I have winters on my stock rims. my review after a week:

they are very decent tires, that I believe have a cheap name that has a bad reputation. the n9000 is supposed to be quite a competant and competitive tire. They recently established themselves in pro drift and some time attack teams are running them. I have found them to be a soft compound that is sticky and they perform pretty good, excellent grip of the line and good grip in the corners. We haven't had much rain but yesterday we did and they evacuated water very well.

Overall: good tire, bad rep, not alot of info out there on them. Give them a shot, especially if u don't want to drop $1500- $2000 on a "name brand". 

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »
make that $800-$1500 on the name brands that are known to be good.

91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline andrew volcz

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
i have friends (mainly mustang buddies) that love the nexans, however the only set ive owned i never even used.  my opinion is that they are definatly inexpensive which im sure is the main reason why people buy them.  personally ive always looked at tires that performs well in the rain and decent-well in the dry... in the end ive ended up buying probably 4-5 sets of the kumho spt's. 

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:57:44 pm »
I used Nexen 2000 tires on a FWD turbo car.  They perform pretty good in the rain and in the dry. They wore pretty quick with that setup. With an AWD platform tho, Ide say they'd be pretty good. They're quite sticky going forward.  but they slide quite easy in a turn.  ;D
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »
I don't get why people run budget tires on a performance car - and I don't mean to be a brand snob either, but I usually at least select a tire that participates in motorsport, even when I buy cheaper sets. It's the ONLY thing your car uses to accelerate, to turn and to stop. It is the single most important part of any car, so why cheap out? I love seeing 40,000$ 350z's with superchargers rocking nankang grocery getter tires that were on special at whatever shop they happened to pull into.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Matt LaFrance

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:45 pm »
Well I'm going to agree with everything everybody is saying. Nexen tires are garbage especially low low models like the n2000, but the n9000 is a very competant tire that competes with every tire in it's class, do a little research and u'll see that nexen is moving up and hopes to be in the same playing field as kuhmo and hankook real soon. Think of them as what Hyundai have done, garbage for so long, then the genesis coupe.... 

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »
Actually the second gen Tiburon is a damn good car.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »
one of my buds bought the newest model of tiburon and i was really impressed  the v6 pulls decent and its a fun ride.  i love the genesis.

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:12:14 pm »
Every time I see a Genesis there is some loser driving it , thinking he`s got some super sports car.  ::) Sure the 300 ponies or whatever they have is nice but whatever you like.. :)

As for the Nexans I`ve heard they are a decent tire.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 11:35:24 am »
I suggest you test drive the Genesis v6 gt like i did. Its a blast to drive. It really needs to be AWD tho. Without traction control, It roasts the tires too easily...      hence the fun. tying into the topic, I would not run nexens on a genesis. lol
Im interested to see what the compound is like on the new nexen 9000. Ive heard they are still soft as hell.

Offline Matt LaFrance

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »
They are very soft, but their treadwear rating isn't thy bad.

As for this whole tiburon talk, any true dsmer who runs an awd turbo and particurlarly an upgraded one laughs (as I do) at the sight or mention of a tiburon