Author Topic: miss fire and won't start .  (Read 13116 times)

Offline Constantin Morosan

• 95 Eclipse turbo
miss fire and won't start .
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:45:08 pm »
Well i got abit of a problem here .

my 2g Eclipse wont start no more the engine is a 4g63 turbo ..
the ignition and spark gradualy   start failing piston by piston i was down to 3 then  2 and now only one seams to be firing when it turns  over to start there is no Spark  at all in 3 of the 4 cylinder wich makes me think of an electrical problem .. heres the list of things i have changed thinking it may help with out success  , spark plug and wires , coils , tansistor/egnition module , and Crank scensor .. I am running out of  ideas of what could be wrong with it , John  told me to  do a compresion test and so i will do  when i get  a tester ,

im throwing that out there and see if anyone else had a similar issue and point me  the right direction to get my baby back on the road .

cheers and thank you .
Help us Obi John Kenobi you're our only hope ..

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline Rob Armstrong

Re: miss fire and won't start .
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:57:11 pm »
do you have a 7 or 6 bolt? do you have a cam angle sensor? how bout a code reader... try scanning it and see what codes you have.

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »
i haven o clue if its a 6 or 7  bolt  i know it has been swap ..  i am not that  knowing when it comes to this , but willing to learn . as for the cam angle sensor did get  to check it if been flying blind and replacing parts for a few weeks now . not the smartes an cheapes way to  do it . ::)

whats a easy way to identify of its a 6 or  7 bolt ?   

as for the cod reader i don't have one or dont know really where to go in chilliwack to get it  done and its hard to since the car is not running at all .

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:32:30 pm »

as for the cod reader i don't have one or dont know really where to go in chilliwack to get it  done and its hard to since the car is not running at all .

Go to canadian tire, buy a code reader, read your codes, return the code reader.

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:34:34 pm »

Go to canadian tire, buy a code reader, read your codes, return the code reader.

you sir are a genius .... !!  THANK YOU !   ;D

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:04:25 am »
they are not that much money and if you have an OBD2 car of any kind in North America, you may as well keep it.  Reading 1 code(or at the most 2) it will pay for itself.

Also, where is the car at right now?

I MAY be able to swing by and have a quick look.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Shane Hornstein

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »
sounds exactly exactly like what happened to me when my cam angle sensor went

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 03:58:13 pm »
I have a code reader you can use.
Also, have you tested your igniter
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Brandon Kuczynski

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:35 pm »
i recently had the same problem with my car,  it ended up being my computer, it was an aem ecu i had to send it in and pay $400 to get it fixed, not sure if its the same problem but u never know
1997 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 10:43:19 pm »
says he changed the transistor/ign module, so I am assuming thats the same as the ignitor?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 10:45:16 pm »
make sure the cam angle sensor is instaled correctly. It could be 180 degrees out

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »
that will USUALLY only cause a slight barely noticable misfire.  many people have driven around for months and years with it 180 out.

Plus his used to run good, and just started to go like it is, without him taking the CAS out of the car.

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:10:59 pm »
sorry thought he allready replaced it. I have never run with it 180 out so I wouldn't know how it would affect the car, but for the 2 easily acessable bolts it would have been a easy check. Just tossing ideas.

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:41:01 pm »
sorry thought he allready replaced it. I have never run with it 180 out so I wouldn't know how it would affect the car, but for the 2 easily acessable bolts it would have been a easy check. Just tossing ideas.

ideas is what i want Rob :D  i am short of them and scratching my head on what is up  with it ...

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline Mike Jamieson

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 09:38:20 pm »
Check b+ to PCM with a test light for voltage. Use a test lamp that has 1 amp or more of current draw to assure that the wiring is capable of good current flow. Some of the newer test lights only have a current draw of 50 milliamps or less. If your test lamp has less than one amp of current draw, then a turnsignal bulb will make a good substitute.
1st Talon 1995 TSI AWD, 14b. Sold
@&*%#@ mickey mousers.