Author Topic: miss fire and won't start .  (Read 13129 times)

Offline CamWeiss

Re: miss fire and won't start .
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »
Are you still getting fuel?

If yes, then it's not the cam angle sensor - If it's failed, you won't get fuel OR spark.
(Or, at least that's how it is with a 1g.)
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Constantin Morosan

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:33:45 pm »
mike am not sure of what you talking about .. its intriguing me tho .. if you don't mind PM  me about  more details i would love to give it a shot . and  Cam yeah its getting fuel and firing on one piston  which i believe is #4 if i remember well . i got a code reader on the way hope  that will give me an idea and i also got a compression testing kit so ill be taking care of that also  this weekend .

thanks guys for all the Great info .
Help us Obi John Kenobi you're our only hope ..

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 04:20:44 pm »
if your not getting spark on 3 cyl's then thats ur problem.  Check and double check all ignition components.

Power trans, coil packs, fuses,

you can test each individual unit with a ohm meter..... but i imagine that is over your head.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Sy Haw Wong

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 04:39:27 pm »
if your not getting spark on 3 cyl's then thats ur problem.  Check and double check all ignition components.

you can test each individual unit with a ohm meter..... but i imagine that is over your head.

+1

Just do the basics ont those mentioned with a volt meter.  It would be also better to scan your car to pull the code, but my guesses by now is that it will show the code random cylinder misfire, which isn't something you don't know already.

An OBD2 scanner is a good tool to have and keep for your future cars also.  I would buy and keep one if they are on sale and cheap.

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 08:49:03 pm »
if your not getting spark on 3 cyl's then thats ur problem.  Check and double check all ignition components.

Obviously it's my problem it's my car   ::) LOL

changed all four spark plug and wires .. and also the coils and the power transistor and even went and changed the  crank  censor .. not over my head i have done everything i could think of and that i know of. that's why i am here asking for more help .. i got a cod reader on the way hope that may help me little more .  ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:55:02 pm by Constantin Morosan »

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 09:33:33 pm »
have you checked compression on that hole yet?

and have you checked for injector pulse and/or swapped the injector from the shitty cylinder to a good one yet?  As per facebook and pms here?

ANY engine has to have 3 things to fire.  Compression, fuel and spark.  And they have to be at the correct time.

Spark and compression are easy to test on these cars. 

DO these tests.  Anything else is just guessing.  Not saying you can't get lucky by guessing, but its not a good way to go about problem solving.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 06:28:07 pm »
ill work on doing does test this weekend and get back to you with my conclusion of testing ..  with the swaping of the injectors and the compresion testing  i still have to get a compresion test kit and i am waiting on the code reader to show up also . you were also saying inthe the "right way to do a  compresion test " talk that you should have a fully charged battery for that test . well mine is dead so i gues ill have to buy a new one or find a charger .

its been alot of guessing and working from what i believed was the problem back . no luck so far .

more testing .. will be done this weekend :D

thanks  all !

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:24 am »
well heres a update ..

I have done the compression test and everything seams fine .. well at least i think it is.. all piston average 130 150 psi  i have no clue if that good or bad.  I also notice when i plug and unplug the Crank censor .. i hear a electric or something  from behind the motor   near the firewall ..  the mestup thing is that if i plug and unplug it a good  5 or 6 times .. it seams to  charge  up something because when  i go to fire up the car i can hear all 4 piston firing and wanting to go .. then only two keep working ..  my computer doesn't read Anything wrong  with it ..could it be the ECU ?

I am very  lost in eager to fix this car up .. any more suggestions ?

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:49 pm »
the crank sensor is behind the lower timing cover, is this the one you are unplugging?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 08:17:14 pm »
well heres a update ..

I have done the compression test and everything seams fine .. well at least i think it is.. all piston average 130 150 psi  i have no clue if that good or bad.  I also notice when i plug and unplug the Crank censor .. i hear a electric or something  from behind the motor   near the firewall ..  the mestup thing is that if i plug and unplug it a good  5 or 6 times .. it seams to  charge  up something because when  i go to fire up the car i can hear all 4 piston firing and wanting to go .. then only two keep working ..  my computer doesn't read Anything wrong  with it ..could it be the ECU ?

I am very  lost in eager to fix this car up .. any more suggestions ?

The compression test is mostly used to determine if two cylinders next to each other are different because that will usually reveal a problem. You say 130-150 but that can mean a lot; for example

130-135-145-150 isn't as bad as 130-150-150-150 would be.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »
even then it should start and run smoothly for the most part.  Yes, spec says its supposed to be within 14% of each other, but that example would run.

If its 150-50-50-150, we suspect head gasket or cracked head etc.  Or just 2 sets of coincidentally burned valves.

for reference, my red car ran mostly smoothly with 155-140-120-85 for quite a while.  It was 155-145-140-90 for a long time too,but it settled at the lower values for about a year.  Even passed aircare.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »
even then it should start and run smoothly for the most part.  Yes, spec says its supposed to be within 14% of each other, but that example would run.

If its 150-50-50-150, we suspect head gasket or cracked head etc.  Or just 2 sets of coincidentally burned valves.

for reference, my red car ran mostly smoothly with 155-140-120-85 for quite a while.  It was 155-145-140-90 for a long time too,but it settled at the lower values for about a year.  Even passed aircare.

The second I posted that I wondered if I shouldn't just remove it, mostly based on that.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:05 pm »
on that note, you WERE right on the Mazdaspeed 3 power issue.  Not sure where I got the figures from, but its rated at 263, and mine is rated at 274.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 11:31:26 am »
on that note, you WERE right on the Mazdaspeed 3 power issue.  Not sure where I got the figures from, but its rated at 263, and mine is rated at 274.

I have an RG dyno for a a MS3 (stock save for a mazdaspeed intake, but was running 91 octane) I would love to see your sheet and compare the curves some time. Got a copy you can post?

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »
I have a paper copy, thats all.  RG might have it saved somewhere?

Like all of them online etc, it hits hard and then slowly falls off, then at 5500ish it drops off.

Interestingly, the torque and hp curves don't cross at 5250 like they are supposed to.  First one I have seen like that.