Author Topic: Broken fuel line at pump  (Read 756 times)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Broken fuel line at pump
« on: October 17, 2003, 07:03:12 pm »
So while putting in my Walbro today (finally) It all went quite well but after I fired it up the higher pressure blew a hole in the line right where it goes into the tank. I found that VFAQ on how to fix the problem and will be attempting it Sunday after gathering parts tomorrow. I'm just wondering if the JB-weld and/or quick steel will suffice to seal around the pipe on a FWD. The VFAQ deals with an AWD where it sealing well is not such an issue. Since my pump is below the level of a full tank it will need to withstand the pressure of a full tank.

So will this work?
Does anybody have a better idea?

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 10:28:40 pm »
Well I'm going ahead with this. I've cut up the lines and drilled out the hole for the new line to go through. It's really tight, and I've dremeled the area all around. I'm going to use JB weld on it tomorrow and then let it cure for 24hours, then put it in after work Sunday night.

Can the JB-weld be used on the inside of the gas tank as well?

Oh, I'm also going to need to relocate the pump ground connector to one of those two studs that the pump bracket goes on. I hope that will work.

Offline John Hartman

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 10:42:15 pm »
I don't know exactly what it looks like in there, but I'd be hesitant to use JB weld or any other glue type of thing for a permanent fix on a gas line.

Could ya rig something more permanent, like bolts, nuts etc??
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 12:19:30 am »
It's not on the gas line per-se, it's to keep the tank from leaking around the hole I had to make for the new line to go in. It will be low pressure. I would never try to get JB to hold back 60psi of gas :laugh:

Did you look at the VFAQ? It's about the only way unless I drilled it our big enough to put in a pressure fitting but that comes with problems of its own.

Offline John Hartman

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 10:27:21 am »
all I'm saying is that it will be fine for a while, possibly a long while, but one day its gonna dissolve the glue and then the fun starts.

OK, I just looked at the VFAQ with the broken fuel pump line and the quicksteel/JBWeld.  It looks pretty good actually, but I had a thought.

How about brazing it??

The parts are off the car and no where near the tank.  I don't have the equipment for it, and even if you don't that wont cost much at a welding place, especially if you find a small shop that does good work.

I know its a pain, driving the part somewhere with another car, but if it comes apart later, your gonna have to take it all apart anyway, possibly on the side of the road with a rock and a stick as tools, in a downpour in your best clothes.  At least that is when it would fail for me :P
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 06:13:53 pm »
Well, earlier today before reading your post John I went and got my $6 JB-weld and $5 pipe bender and a foot of free pipe from Lordco. I decided to forgo the quicksteel and just let the JB sit for 30 hours. I think it'll work it sure looks sturdy and if it ever does leak I wont be on the side of the road because it will only leak out the top 1/3 of the tank, if that, because the fuel line its self is still sealed.

Good suggestion though. I had thought about brazing it myself but after comming to my 1/3 tank worst case scenario theory and in the interest of saving time and money I went with the JB. Besides I've replace all those stupid screws with bolts now, and my new pipe will attach with two clamps directly to the hose with that PITA fitting on the outside. So taking it out, if ever needed, will be a five minute job. :wink:

Offline John Hartman

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 06:58:16 pm »
ahh, ok ,if its easy to get out, not such a big deal.

Offline Jeremy Clarke

Broken fuel line at pump
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 05:40:59 pm »
Got my pump in today. The fix seems to have worked. Here are the pics. I had to trim that line quite a lot to install it.  

I haven't gotten the chance to tune the SAFC with the pump yet (exam tomorrow) but soon, soon :wink: