Author Topic: Thinking of lowering car  (Read 1202 times)

Offline John Terwiel

Thinking of lowering car
« on: October 19, 2003, 10:14:26 pm »
Hi Guys, I am a new member and have a couple of questions for you. I am thinking about lowering my 95 TSI, but I am concerned about the ride becoming to rough and possibly having ground clearance problems. What are your opinions on the type of springs to use and the effect of those springs on the ride? Also I recently changed my turbo to a big 16g  and am disappointed in the turbo lag and what seems like a small increase in power. I have previously changed the complete exhaust system including high flow cat, added the K&N filter (eliminated the factory air box), 1g blow off valve, 17PSI boost, high flow fuel pump and custom mandrel bent tubing from turbo to intake. Do any of you have suggestions on improving turbo response and power output? This looks like a great websight and am doing my best at reading all the prevous messages. Thank you to the guy on south fraser way that yelled out the window of his Talon telling me about this site :D
FT

Offline Charn Gill

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 10:28:24 pm »
the big16 creates boost in the high rpms so there nothing you can really do about that (correct me if im wrong) maybe up the boost and get on it faster?  :twisted:

as for lowering. i got a 95 eclipse with koni adj and coilovers. the ride is awesome. turns are great., but if i hit a pot hole or a deep ass manhole cover it feels like i ran over a cat or something. I've heard that 2g's only have about 4" to play with until you hit the bumpstop. im pretty sure im hitting the bumpstop and my car aint really THAT low. its lowered but it aint rubbing on the ground. a good set of lowering springs would give you a good ride height and you'd have to sacrifice a little bit of rough rdin when you go over things. thats all i have to say. anyone feel free to interject and correct my statments.
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Aaron Franzen

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 10:29:57 pm »
I just had my car lowered by Jordan Gladman (Member on the Site) and I have not had any problems with ground clearance. The drop was about 2inches, as for a rough ride its a little more stiff but nothing too noticable. I havent heard any talon owners complaining about being to low :)

P.S. I can't even remember the name of the springs, Jordan you remember the name?

Offline Hansen Chu

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 10:48:49 pm »
hey aaron how much did that cost ??
MK4 VW
92dsm vrrrm psssh .. Sleeping in garage
93dsm SOLD

RIP Jay .... 1985 -2003

Offline Charn Gill

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 10:52:11 pm »
Quote from: "Aaron Franzen"
I just had my car lowered by Jordan Gladman (Member on the Site) and I have not had any problems with ground clearance. The drop was about 2inches, as for a rough ride its a little more stiff but nothing too noticable. I havent heard any talon owners complaining about being to low :)

P.S. I can't even remember the name of the springs, Jordan you remember the name?

read this thread..
http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2930
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Aaron Franzen

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2003, 11:05:40 pm »
springs $250.00 reg 300 from lordco, and install i think $50.00

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 11:51:12 pm »
I lowered my car only 1" with Suspension Techniques Springs $550 after Taxes, installed them myself.  A little bumpy but not too bad, I also made the mistake of getting lower profile tires, and on some of the speed bumps i do have clearance problems.
Dan
P.S. I am guessing after the springs settled it is probably closer to 1.5" drop
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Bobby Grewal

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 03:51:37 am »
I think im gonna have to make a complaint here because my car is dropped 2". Its not bad for handling but i do bottom out like every drivway(lots of wendy's :) ). I just got tokico hps and there pretty good but like Charn was saying when you hit a bump its pretty intense. Otherwise it makes the car look pretty good.
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Andrew Scott

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 02:28:59 pm »
As for the large amount of turbo lag with the 16g, a 3" turbo back exhaust would clear that right up.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Kimyee Lai

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 02:57:33 pm »
It really depends on the rest of your set-up.  Are you still on the stock IC?  Are you still on stock injectors?  When I went to a big 16 and a big FMIC, I have to say that lag was only a little worse than on the 14b, and then it's really only noticeable if I floor it off idle from a standstill.  What do you have for tuning?  Even with my 14b I was hitting 105% duty cycle on the stock injectors...you might be running pretty lean with your set-up.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 03:22:53 pm »
ahh.. Just get an airride suspension... car is lower than hell but has never bottomed out  :D

Offline John Terwiel

Thinking of lowering car
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 08:12:15 pm »
Yes I am still on the stock ECU and injectors, my next step was going to be the intercooler. I was basicly following the extreme motorsports website staged build up. I was wanting the small 16g because I was looking for a more steetable setup that drag race but I ended up with the big 16g instead. from what I have read on the websites, it seems that the small 16g was perfect for my needs. If anyone is interested in trading me for a small 16 g, I would be interested in talking to you. The idea of a using a ball bearing turbo is also very appealing.  I still haven't completed the turbo inlet pipe replacement, however I did remove that blowoff valve pipe that is in there, so that might also be part of the problem.
FT