Author Topic: What mods should I get?  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

What mods should I get?
« on: December 25, 2005, 09:53:54 pm »
Ok, Christmas just passed by as some people may know, and I got some money and long story short its pushed my toy account to 1000(maybe more if its really nice)

Now I already have and exaust, intake and mbc. And I have a 2g manifold and o2 that I am in the process of porting out, and a 255lph pump thats sitting around waiting.

What do these professional minds think I should get? And does anyone have any there selling  :laugh:
04 Honda Cr-V yay boring boring boring car......

Offline Wayne Wright

What mods should I get?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005, 10:42:49 pm »
That 300$ FMIC in the Parts Store.

What route do you want to take to tune with?
What are yout goals.

A MAF-t and some injectors are a couple other needed things.

Offline Jess Atendido

What mods should I get?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 02:31:42 am »
what's your goal?
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Andrew Scott

What mods should I get?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 02:51:51 am »
At this point you would usually step up to a mid level turbo kit if thats what your goals are. Lets assume a Evo3 16G setup.

You'll need the following (in this order):

1) Intake and fuel control (same time):
2g MAF and SAFC
or
GM MAF and MAF-T

I'd recommend the SAFC combo.

2) Injectors - 680cc+

3) Turbo - Evo 16G

4) At this point there are a few directions to go in, power wise:
- FMIC and pipes /w crushed 1G BOV and more boost
reliability:
- radiator, bov, ebc and an ajustable fuel pressure regulator

After this you do the same steps over again with bigger tubes, parts, complicated electronics.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Matt Demick

What mods should I get?
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 09:42:52 am »
2G maf and Evo 16G. That will be a huge difference for the price
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

What mods should I get?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 11:59:52 am »
Jaime,

Before people can really help you get the most bang for your buck you need to elaborate what you want to do with this car.  Dedicated drag or autocross car?   Weekend drag or autocross car?  Daily driver, no racing?  etc etc.
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

What mods should I get?
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 12:04:50 pm »
Sorry. left out my goals. And they don't call for much more then a 16g  maybe a 20g as of right now anyways. I think 350 whp all I want or will ever need. But I also know the craze that comes with tuning cars.

As for tuning my car, I am more likely then not going to go with a 2g maf and safc, but the thought has crossed my mind to go with a 1g dsmlink but more likely will be the 2g maf and safc.

The 2 things I think I need for now that I don't have much of a choice(should have mentioned it before) are a afpr because  i had my stock regualor overrun before with a 255lph, and a egt because my manifold already tapped for it.

But besides that am I hearing, a 2g maf and a safc and then if I had money after this either a some injectors or that that megan racing fmic in the parts store.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
What mods should I get?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 12:14:48 pm »
Get a second car, you'll need a backup ride when Talon breaks :laugh:

Retail : MAFT+injectos+Cooler

If you don't mind buying used parts and have couple hundred extra than MAFT+Injectors+FPR+Evo16G (Turbo is the only part I'd get new)

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

What mods should I get?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 01:38:30 pm »
atually I am going to pick up a parts talom hopefully pretty quick, my friend wrecked his and its got a lot of new parts in it.

Offline Miles Frederick

What mods should I get?
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 04:18:28 pm »
Personally I'd go with a 2gmaf, eprom ecu and eprom emulator or chip burner (emulator better though) and skip the safc altogether.  Perhaps slighty more expensive than the safc route, but pretty much gives you the functionality of a dsmlink.  Proper injector deadtime and size compensation, proper 2gmaf compensation, additional datalogging capabilities, fuel and timing are adjustable by load and rpm.  Full timing control will come in handy sooner than you may think.

http://www.labattz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11843

Also depending on your luck you might find you are overrunning your stock fpr with the 255 at idle and part throttle.  This can cause a part throttle tuning nightmare, so if so it'd be best to install an aftermarket fpr at this time.  A bonus in doing this combined with the eprom above you will be able to raise your fuel pressure and push your 450's a little further until you can afford larger ones.

Then if not going larger than 16G you should be able to bolt it on and get it running decently at moderate boost.  Injectors and intercooling would be holding you back slightly but you should be able to do pretty well in the meantime.

If going larger, then start saving and do the injectors, then followed by the turbo in intercooler at the same time (due to piping differences between 16g and larger turbos)

Just my opinions, I'm sure they differ from many  :laugh:
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

Offline Andrew Scott

What mods should I get?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 06:01:04 pm »
The SAFC is very, very limited - but if you're using an EVO 16g you can get very good drivability with a afpr and safc. You won't be comphensating so much with the safc that it will screw timing up that badly, especally if you are using the 2g maf.

I think, it has been a while since I've thought about this. The 2G maf and 550s theoretically balance eachother out, so while you would have to set the AFC -10% across the board because of the 550s, the 2G maf would require comphensation of about +10% across the board. So if 680s required -50%, with a 2G maf, you would only need to set -40% comphensation. Okay.

Yeah piggybacking is complicated, and doing it mathematically never works, but it gives you a baseline to start from. Trial and error is the only way to do it, really. You can also change base comphensation numbers by changing base fuel pressure as well: ie. 680cc injectors at 43psi are only 550cc injectors at 20psi (not really, but just as an example). This is a good way to keep timing under control.

While you are waiting, maybe consider all the free mods you can do, like ducting all the air you can to your intercooler, cleaning out your intake tract, and all the cheap labour intensive maintanence you possibly can in preperation for bif time power. It'll make your work in the future way easier, and it's way more important than you might think.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline John Hartman

What mods should I get?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 07:18:57 pm »
for your money, (and I know you are cheap like me), I'd do the porting you have started, but screw in a plug for the EGT probe.  Don't buy one.

get a good wideband and sensor instead.  Yes, thats a bit more money than an EGT, but it will be much better for actually tuning the car.

I agree, get some bigger injectors, pressure reg, a 2g maf and an SAFC.  You can get these all used, just get good ones. Oh and don't go too big with the injectors because your timing will be all out to lunch if you have to take out too much fuel with an SAFC or similar piggy back.

Do you have an eprom ECU?  If so, get a good chip for it.  Stutterbox launch, no lift to shift and some of the other goodies make this one of the best cost/10th parts out there.

If not, take the rest of the money left over and put it towards one.

Do you have an aftermarket clutch?  If not, don't do too much more power wise as you won't be able to launch it hard anyways.

After that is all installed, tuned and setup well, then you can look towards the intercooler and or turbo.

Yes you can include the turbo much sooner in the path and it will always give you more later on, but if you do all the other things first, you will learn more about your car(and I know thats important to you) and when you get the bigger snail, it will really impress you because everything else will be in place already.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

What mods should I get?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 01:56:13 pm »
opps sorry Jovan, I missed your post there. My plans for this car are street driven and weekend drag. And just to have a car that every time I get in it I can have fun if I want too.

So as of right now I am gonna start looking around for:

- safc
- 2g maf
- afpr
- injectors
- wideband
- eprom

And I have a act 2600 and no I don't have a eprom, but I am gonna pick up my friends car that he got wrecked and pray that my luck my give me and eprom.

Offline Jaime Whittlesey

What mods should I get?
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 10:49:59 am »
Ok, i'm just gonna breing this back up because it relates and its better then making a new thread.

ok, so as you might know I got a 255lph pump and like so many others its overran my stock regualtor. And I was thinking since I have since decided against a bigger power goal like I did before would it be better to just trade/sell my 255 and get a 190 so that I don't need a afpr, or just stick with a 255lph and get the afpr and use it as another tuning tool.

Offline Wayne Wright

What mods should I get?
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 05:18:22 pm »
http://www.importevolution.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_45&products_id=1620

Great kit, I'll be installing mine in a couple weeks.