Author Topic: Nisson GTR  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Anthony Bell

• Mutant Motor Sport
Re: Nisson GTR
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:14 pm »
isnt that from the revscene meet back in early march?  from what i people have told me...the guy can only insure his car for a year or two because he moved from back east and that vehicle is what he brought with him.  that is what i heard so im not 100% sure...

I didnt think you could have a jdm import insured and on the road in canada unless it was 15 years old:S how does that brand new gtr have bc plates...:S

JDM R34 GTR

this was from a revscene meet like 2 years ago...but yah i dont know how he was able to put bc plates on it

that could be correct, and it could be not, there are so many stories going around about that car, i heard one about how he had it dissassembled in japan, and had it shipped in parts to the abbotsford nissan, and they assembled it there for him, so the status, is actually a "Kit Car". Supposedly paid, over a 100G's for it too. but what you believe is up to you.

thats crazy, I was unaware you could get a north american gtr.... cuz back in the 89-93 skyline gtr's...they never existed on the north american market if i am correct? so how would someone get one now? custom ordered thru nissan or what? how much they cost in canadian $

its an american car, it has all the requirements to be bought and sold here, all DOT inspected and approved parts, unlike some of the older cars, like the skylines, some of the side markers, headlights, etc, were not DOT approved, so they made that rule. Im not sure if you have seen any around, but the Delica, its a Jap mini van, to import them you actually have to buy DOT approved headlights for them, because the plastic they are made out of is not safe if you are in an accident here...

Not sure if that answers any questions for you?
1992 White Talon TSi AWD. - Big Evo III 16 Turbo, 2G Manifold, 255 Walbro, FPR, Centerforce Dual Clutch.

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2008, 09:40:15 pm »
anything that you import has to go through an inspection. everything. it has to pass a pretty vigorous inspection to make sure it meets all of our ridiculous rules i.e. the bumper has to be able to be in a collision at 8km/h or less and have zero damage. there's a long list of parts that need to be changed for some cars. and everything needs to have DOT approved headlights.

it's not really a huge deal to do it. but most people couldn't be bothered with the time and effort it takes to do the work.
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 12:40:17 am »
some of those rules have been thrown out have they not? cuz im pretty sure that evo 8 and 9's are allowed in cananda now arent they?
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 08:55:44 am »
some of those rules have been thrown out have they not? cuz im pretty sure that evo 8 and 9's are allowed in cananda now arent they?

I thought that their bumpers did not meet the minimum collision pass, so they are not allowed yet some people have them so I am too a little confused on the EVO's
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Nathan Friess

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 07:43:59 pm »
As it pertains to bringing in american cars to canada... Yes, some of the rules have been thrown out.  As far as I know the strictest was that bumper law which didnt allow VW R32's, newer evos and other cars to be brought into Canada, and that does not exist anymore.  But from japan I dont think they've changed any of those rules, at least no major ones.  I could be wrong though.
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:35 am »
there is way to register those cars in Canada. I drove an R34, and an S15  to aircare about 3 years ago now. They all stop the operation and everyone looked at the car. It wasn't my car tho'.

Offline Anthony Bell

• Mutant Motor Sport
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 11:50:55 am »

Yes im pretty sure they are now allowing them in now.

there is way to register those cars in Canada. I drove an R34, and an S15  to aircare about 3 years ago now. They all stop the operation and everyone looked at the car. It wasn't my car tho'.

What year s15? because they are not legal here, unless you do what the guy with the R34 did, and bring it over as a kitcar...
1992 White Talon TSi AWD. - Big Evo III 16 Turbo, 2G Manifold, 255 Walbro, FPR, Centerforce Dual Clutch.

Offline Drew Sale

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 03:08:08 pm »
i don't see why they would allow some cars to be brought in from the states but not from japan. cuz then you could just import your car to the states then over to canada. it doesn't matter where the car is from, just the specs of the parts and whether they meet the criteria
I dont care what anyone says about my car. It only had 1 error code.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 04:49:37 pm »
i don't see why they would allow some cars to be brought in from the states but not from japan. cuz then you could just import your car to the states then over to canada. it doesn't matter where the car is from, just the specs of the parts and whether they meet the criteria

The whole LHD, RHD thing. DOT approvals, etc.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Anthony Bell

• Mutant Motor Sport
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 12:13:54 pm »
also you have to factor in the Weight to Power Ratio, thats why the New Pontiac GTO isnt allowed to, it has too much horsepower, versus the weight, the car is ridiculously light for the size, and has 400hp and 400 torque.

Offline lyle chavez

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 03:09:33 am »
also you have to factor in the Weight to Power Ratio, thats why the New Pontiac GTO isnt allowed to, it has too much horsepower, versus the weight, the car is ridiculously light for the size, and has 400hp and 400 torque.

weight power ratio? what about the ferraris and lambo's?

Offline Anthony Bell

• Mutant Motor Sport
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 02:56:15 pm »
still have an acceptable power to weight ratio.

Offline Nathan Friess

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 07:59:09 pm »
I dont think thats true. 2009 Pontiac GTO weighs in at 3800lbs according to Pontiac; with 400hp this is roughly 9:1 power to weight ratio.  2008 Ferrari f430 has a curb weight of 3196lbs with 490hp, which is about 6.5:1 power to weight. The ferrari has more torque relative to its weight aswell.  So unless the GTO isnt allowed because it doesnt have enough power relative to its size, I dont think power to weight ratio is the reason. :P
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:01:08 pm by Nathan Friess »
5 TSI AWD - a few little things here and there
90 Colt 200gt - 4g63T swap, FMIC, SSQV- SOLD
90 Talon TSI AWD- RIP(I still love you baby)

Offline Anthony Bell

• Mutant Motor Sport
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:06 pm »
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f20/why-isnt-gto-canada-15060/

i may stand corrected than, there is thread all about it, looks like alot of safety requirements were not met for it to be imported to canada.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 12:30:53 pm »
Lols at pontiac making a car too high performance to be legal.....even more lols at pontiac making a car too crappy for retail....
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...