Author Topic: Saratoga Raceway - March 22/09  (Read 5212 times)

Offline CamWeiss

Saratoga Raceway - March 22/09
« on: March 17, 2009, 12:58:40 am »
So on Sunday the 22 of March there's an autocross at Saratoga here on the Island.

I'll be going, and I believe a couple other Island members (Maurits? Richard?) had considered going up. I believe another non-member from Victoria will be up as well.

I'd encourage anyone who wants to get some seat time to come out! The last event apparently had ~12 entries, ~10 runs, and something north of 65 seconds per run - Quite a long course!

Tech starts at 10:30AM, see their website for further details (http://www.saratogaspeedway.bc.ca/index.html).

Lets make this into a mini-meet, guys. I know there are a bunch of Duncan/Nanaimo/etc members hangin around...
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
Re: Saratoga Raceway - March 22/09
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:22 am »
I'm in.  finally something on the island that isnt in 3 hours away.

1991 Talon TSi AWD 5 speed
2013 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i
2000 Suzuki DR650SE custom supermoto

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:30:58 pm »
I thought Saratoga was dead..guess not!!
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
Heh, yeah I guess the owners haven't given up it Saratoga yet.

Just for clarification on the entry fees - The $35 is for entry. You WILL HAVE TO rent a Transponder, and you will have to purchase a bracket to go with it (They apparently sell it there, no idea on the price). From what I understand, the pit pass is for anyone who hasn't entered their own car but is driving someone else's who has paid for registration.

So yeah... Bring at least $50 and some cable ties to attach the transponder bracket to your license plate.

Edit - My biggest question right now is "Azenis or No Azenis"... I'm goin up to Mt Wash on Saturday, so I'm not too sure about summer tires + (possible) fresh snow. I know it's stupid to chance, but the road is usually pretty clear.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:58:33 pm by CamWeiss »

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:54:06 pm »
The road is covered in loose sand.  if you are going to ride nicely up the hill summer tires should do you (it looked crappy at the top today though) I have been going up and down on all seasons all winter.  They keep the pavement bare, but the sand they use is evil. 

2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:31 pm »
Now that you have said the roads are USUALLY clear they won't be! lol
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 10:08:40 pm »
I'm going to be going up! Made up my mind :D
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:34:43 pm »
Brad, I don't know if you've ever run Autocross before, but I'll give you a quick rundown on a few things you should check before you come out.

Helmet: Local requirements are Snell M2000, M2005, SA 2000 or SA 2005. I believe the Saratoga rules are the same.

Safety Belts: OEM seatbelts should be in good working order. Harnesses are ok.

Solidly Mounted Battery: The battery must be held down properly. If it can be moved at all, it will not pass.

Legal Tires: In Stock and Street Prepared categories, the tires must have measurable tread, and must be in good condition. Excessive weather checks or visible cord/plies will fail inspection. Tire pressures should be higher than used for the street, and 40 psi F/R is a good place to start.

Brakes: The brake pedal must be firm, with no loss of pressure when held down.

Steering / Suspension: The steering must be reasonably tight, with no excessive play. Wheel bearings cannot have excessive play.

Hub Caps and Trim Rings: Hub caps, trim rings and wheel covers must be removed for competition, unless they are bolted to the wheel.

Loose Items in Car: All loose items must be removed from the passenger compartment and trunk. This includes the floor-mats. You may remove the spare tire and jack, but you are not required to if they are properly secured. This can all be done at the track, there should be some extra space in the pit area to unload your car.

Fluid Leaks: Excessive fluid leaks will not pass inspection.

Numbers and Class Markings: Shoe polish or tape (I'd reccomend painters' blue) are both good, although not all clubs require numbers.

Adequate Muffler: Your car must be quieter than 95dbA (RLS) measured 50 feet from the course at a place where you are under full throttle. Due to the possibility of losing sites for noise problems, this rule is strictly enforced. (If your car is quiet enough to avoid attracting Police attention, it will most likely pass the noise requirement)

Throttle: Accelerator pedal must have a return spring and operate freely.

Things to bring:
-Entry fee, in cash (They may not have debit)
-Driving shoes, or something suitable.
-Rain/Cold gear
-Lunch
-Tire pressure guage (I carry one, use it if you like)
-A notepad and pen are often useful as well.
-Some chalk (or tire shine, alternatively) for marking your tires to guage sidewall rollover. Not neccessary, but it easily tells you the difference that a few PSI makes when adjusting tire pressures.

If you want to do a more thorough read, i'd reccomend:
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »
Doesn't look like I'm going to be running this weekend. Seems like all four of my AGXs are blown.

Sorrrryy Cam! Depending on how long they take to send me new ones, I might not run the April even at all! :( Damn it.
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 10:35:38 pm »
Damn... all at one time?

Could be an expensive fix.

Coilovers - You know you want them.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »
I don't know if it's all. I'm not 100% sure, but it felt off today so I'll check it out over the weekend.

If I do get a different setup, I'm probably going to save up the money and fork it out on some nice K-Sports or something similar.. expensive as hell, but at least they'll be a decent setup.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, KYB AGXs come with a lifetime warranty, so I'm GOOOOODD  ;D

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 10:42:19 pm »
Oh, warranty is good.

When I eventually do the suspension on my car, it'll be K-Sports. Even if that does end up being three years from now.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 11:40:35 pm »
Cam.  Thanks for the heads up.  This would be my first autocross.
I don't think that I would be able to run this weekend regardless, I haven't been able to weld up the pipe on my intake and my silicone stuff hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I am using fernco connectors to hold shit together, I know its half assed but I was eager to see how "plug and play" the translator is.  I blow my IC piping at stock pressures because of the crappy piping (first time it happened it was scarry as hell and pieces actually forcibly ejected from the car, so I am running the MBC to about 8 psi. 
Most of the things otherwise are in order, tires are about 80%, battery is tied down (I think... now I am doubting myself), seatbelts seem to work fine, but then again I have dont know that I have ever tried the lap belt (auto belts), exhaust is still stock and I dont drip a drop of anything (I drive on the pit and check once a week for leaks)

I have a DOT helmet but it is for MX (relic of a past life).  I really just need an excuse to see some decent cars with decent people.  This podunk town is starting to get to me.

Is it against etiquette to show up to an event like this and not participate? I

2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 11:56:29 pm »
Not at all - I'm sure someone will put you to work if you aren't going to run. These Saratoga events are sometimes sparsely attended, so if you want to show up and help out I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Most MX helmets are SNELL rated - It may say it on the back, but it's probably buried in the headliner. If the stock hold down bracket for your battery is still intact, it should do just fine.

Are you in Nanaimo? Courtenay?

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brad Taddeo

• Epic Moustache
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 07:31:59 am »
I am in Courtenay.  Saratoga is literally minutes from my house. 
Like I said, it would be my first autocross event but I am willing to help, and try to get a grasp of what happens at events.  I am easy to spot, no hair, big goatee and tattoos on my neck.

2004 Honda CBR 600 F4i