Author Topic: RallyX in Parksville  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Ken Hawkins

• Al yr DSM R belong to me!
RallyX in Parksville
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:26:21 am »
Howdy all; don't know if this got posted anywhere else by Cam.

RallyX in Parksville this coming weekend
http://www.islandrallysport.com/page13/page13.html

I will be there, looks like Cam is showing. Anyone else?

cheers
Ken
1a TSi AWD RallyX champeeeen
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project
"I once gave a rat's ass; nobody cared. Except the rat"

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: RallyX in Parksville
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:03 am »
oooooooh goddamn it! Wish I had known about this a few days ago before I made plans to work extra shifts....
PLEASE post the date of the next one, i've been waiting for a vancover area rallyx for a year now...
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:44:14 am »
Hi Remi

The problem is that the Island Rally website is not that well organized; I only found out about this from Cam, and I check that site about once a month & never caught that page.

There was a note that if the event is well-attended, they would consider organizing another one in the fall.

The Island off-road club has an excellent track in Port; maybe the Rally group could use that track....I will make a phone call or two soon.

regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:06:28 am »
That would be amazing Ken
I'm in vancouver but for entry level rally events I will gladly drive over and beat the crap out of my car haha.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:00 pm »
That would be amazing Ken
I'm in vancouver but for entry level rally events I will gladly drive over and beat the crap out of my car haha.

I'll be going to watch and take some pictures. Possibly jump into one of the cars with a buddy who works at lordco who may also be running.
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:18:44 pm »
Race Report:
Aug. 30/09
Island Rallysport Edge of the Rock Rallycross #1
Parksville, BC

This was on property owned by Leemar Manufacturing in Parksville. We utilised a (approx) 1 mile dirt oval with with several crossroads and intersections in the middle.
Our host was very generous -They graded the track a few days before the event, did some spot rolling and levelling during our lunch break, watered the track, and opened a concession for our small group of about 10 drivers. They were kind enough to to all of this for free.

It was a bit warm for racing, but a bit of breeze helped cool people off and cleared the (massive amounts of) dust off the track. We started the morning with a really fun layout about 1700m in length, and did an afternoon layout that had a different start, but was otherwise unchanged. This let the rookies like myself - First time Rallycrossing, for me - focus on driving more than learning two different courses. There were a number of tight hairpins, and some fast sweepers and a straight stretch leading to the finish - Low and high speed  sections offered great variety in the course.

The track wasn't too rough - Some fist sized stones could be found if you looked, but finer gravel and some sand composed the majority of the track. There was one place on the first layout that had a bit of a berm in a corner that a couple competitors nudged their bumpers on, but the 4x4 cleared it without issue. I didn't bottom out (to my knowledge) at all, either.
I met Ken Hawkins and his 1Ga at the track, and he whumped my ass in competition thanks to gravel experience and what seemed like a pretty well sorted car. I was happy to finally see him after the non-meet that was Tofino.

Overall, I had a great day with no major damage to the car (The glass in my drivers side mirror popped out, see the parts section. I have a bit of an exhaust rattle, but I think a hanger was shaken loose- I moved it a bit and it's okay now. My stereo faceplate and rearview mirror both found themselves in my lap over the course of a single run, but that's due to a lack of foresight on my part...).
I think I may have to do this again...

There are events in the works for September and October. I will post the dates when I get them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:21:28 pm by CamWeiss »
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Ken Hawkins

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:57:23 am »
Just a ditto to Cam's post...

I had great time on Sunday, and the Island Rally Club put on a nice event. To have a business (LeeMar) provide a track like that was greatly appreciated.

I cannot believe how Cam hammered on his Talon :o!! Mine is at least built for the abuse. (and it doesn't look anywhere near as nice)

Sad to say we were both bested by a 2008 WRX racing in the same class. I love racing, but I don't know if I could go hammering on a $35k car like he did....totally showroom, and he had maybe 3" of ground clearance.

I plan on being at the next one as well.

Regards
Ken
'80 928 DD & Trackster
'78 928 trak project

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:14:10 pm »
That WRX was lowered, and seemed louder than stock.

But yep, pretty much straight off the showroom floor.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV