Author Topic: 1GB Laser Project  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
1GB Laser Project
« on: October 18, 2009, 03:46:41 pm »
So since I'm off the road for a little bit, the car is parked and now sitting on jackstands at Richard's place. And since there's an issue with my clutch that I'll need to address, why the hell not start with the other stuff?

Last night/today was hacking/fitting/cutting/whatevering for the FMIC/piping.

Took out the AC rad and stuff.
CAUTION! I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYBODY DO IT THIS WAY. IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL, YOU CAN AND MOST LIKELY WILL DAMAGE YOUR RAD.

Looped the PS line up top. And place the core pretty much where the AC rad was. Perfect fit for it. Since the core is black as well, sleeper status minus the "Mishimoto" stencil.

"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline Matt Demick

Re: 1GB Laser Project
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 03:56:35 pm »
I would just recommend nobody ever do it this way.
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »
I would just recommend nobody ever do it this way.

Take the AC rad out the way I did?

CAUTION! I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYBODY DO IT THIS WAY.

That should make it pretty clear :P
"you just need to drive a well setup DSM. In all fairness, a well setup DSM probably drives like a stock E30, ha ha."

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:17:22 pm »
is it that hard to take the condenser out the regular way?  I have never tried, but I have removed several at work just to replace them.

Just curious, not dissin.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:25:38 pm »
your destructive eh? lol... ps why not just keep the ac??  ???  .. too late now but damn... i love ac
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Ivan Skare

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 05:40:13 pm »
is it that hard to take the condenser out the regular way?  I have never tried, but I have removed several at work just to replace them.

I have a feeling he got impatient. Too excited to put that IC in there!
2015 - 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST soon to be AWD
2012 - 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2004 - 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
2002 - 1990 Plymouth Laser RS N/T

Offline Wes Harrison

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »
i dunno...i never use ac...i always just drive with the windows open..i wouldnt even notice if i had ac or not...

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »

TBH I didn't have to be as destructive as I was. I could have taken the core out in one piece, but I was bored. It's actually easy to take it out from the from anyways. Loosened the two mounts on the top of the rad, took the two bolts that hold the AC rad off and  lift it slightly so it comes up from the bottom holes and it'll slide out the bottom/from of the bumper.
Like I said, I was bored.. Hence the mess - did that with tin snips too.

your destructive eh? lol... ps why not just keep the ac??  ???  .. too late now but damn... i love ac

Shane you know it never gets hot enough around here to use AC anyways. At least I find it never does. If we saw 30*+ weather in the summer consistently, sure.. but we hardly ever do around here. Plus I'd rather drive with the windows down as opposed to AC.
In any case, the belt was disconnected so I never had it in the first place. Can't miss something you never had ;)

Offline Yas Jandric

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:46 pm »
Wow, nice condenser removal hahaha.

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:58:49 pm »
Wow, nice condenser removal hahaha.

Hey man I  learned it from you

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:17:26 pm »
your way was prob safer than the way I mentioned, "just get the skil saw man" :P

Offline Yas Jandric

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:20 pm »

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 11:27:21 am »
HOLY SHIT!!

NOW THATS A "HACK"

ahahha  nice job. Your taking ur A/C stuff out of your car.. Im putting all the A/C back IN the cars i have cuz damn DSM'ers ripped it all out!  It was nice to finally have A/C this year too with the HOT HOT summer we had.  Even managed to install the A/C stuff even with the big ass FMIC my old talon had

Definatly A LOT easier to just unbolt the top of the rad and push it forward to be able to get at the condenser cap screws... then undo the lines off it and pull it out... but whatever floats your boat!!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:40:16 am by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Richard Clark

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 11:30:17 am »
HOLY SHIT!!

NOW THATS A "HACK"

He's a nerd not a mechanic, what can you say.   :P

Offline Maurits Vos

• AWD is AwD...
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 11:33:17 am »
He's a nerd not a mechanic, what can you say.   :P

*Ahem* Coming from the deckhand that told me to use the skill saw then the angle grinder...