Author Topic: Anyone try this throttle body?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
Anyone try this throttle body?
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/RACE-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-TALON-4G63-70MM-THROTTLE-BODY-/360240529169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e0023f11

It looks good, and I can bolt my FIAV and ISC to it, plus one less gasket and leak point, but I dont see any place for the vacuume lines
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:37:43 pm by Mikael Mikkelsen »

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: Anyone try this throttle body?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/RACE-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-TALON-4G63-70MM-THROTTLE-BODY-/360240529169?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e0023f11

It looks good, and I can bolt my FIAV and ISC to it, plus one less gasket and leak point, but I dont see any place for the vacuume lines

I heard there are two versions of this.  One Chinese made and it's not so hot, but the Malaysian made one was the one SBR was trying to charge crazy prices for.  The Malaysian one is quite good I understand.  Never used either personally so this is all hearsay.

-Kevin

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »
Looks ok to me, but you are thinking of putting a 70mm throttle body on a 52mm intake manifold.  There is no gain here, only thier gain, taking your money.

yes it looks nice, yes it looks like it will accept the TPS and ISC, so at least thats ok.  But it has no mention of throttle shaft seals like on a stock one.  If there are no seals it will leak boost here out both ends of the throttle shaft.

And yes, it will eliminate the front gasket to the elbow, but thats a simple gasket, its the other one between the throttle body and the manifold that is the issue on your car(I think).
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »
We've been housesitting so unable to check it out again, I have a feeling that part of my throttle spring got caught in the winding, and its stopping me from tightening the shaft down fully, making it leak, I can't find a gasket in kelowna and there's a 3 week wait for them and a $25 charge to order it. On top of $7 a piece.

I made my own and it helped quite a bit, 2000rmp idle to 1250, I'm tested everything else, no leaks, but I just think I can't see it under the spring. I was going to rebuild again, but then got to looking at these, they look fancy, I saw a number of 80mm but that's just stupid big, I figured the 70mm is close to my 2" intake piping and I could port my mani to at least 65mm. I think your completely right john, the major change in my custom gasket has to mean that that is the problem.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »
2.25" intercooler piping is roughly the same size as a 1g throttle body.  Which is 62mm.  So a 2" will be smaller than a 1g.  And the 70mm will be way bigger.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:23:10 pm »
i think you can port the opening on a 2G manifold to match a 70mm inlet cant you?
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:46:55 pm »
Thats what I've been reading. Im going to try new hard pipes to see if it takes my idle down, if that doesnt work Ill probally try out one of these. Im still worried about the lack of vac lines though, gonna hve to find a way around that, and not just disconnecting them.

It sure is a sexy unit though...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:26:51 pm »
oh for sure you can, but at the level of power Mikael is making(hell at the level of power I am making for that matter) its just a waste of time and money.

Plus, like I said, find out if there are throttle shaft seals in that.  Unless it says that they have them, they probably won't.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 03:38:22 pm »
What turbo are you running Mikeal?
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:16 pm »
T25 atm, working on a 14b swap as we speak.

My goal isn't superspeed but the most stable car I can make for daily driving, I chose this car over a new one so I could make my own.

The way I see it, if I'm going to spend $100 on a throttle body anyways,,, then why not just spend the extra now and know I have that part checked off.

But its all for not without the seals and I havnt heard back yet

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:35:01 pm »
100 bux!!   im sure you can find another stock TB with working sensors for 40 bux.   just make sure the shaft seals dont leak.   if they do... replace them.     Im running a stock tb. and the car used to have a 70mm throttle body on it before.   the 70mm made it more like a light switch.  But Im also running a larger turbo.  Stick with stock unless your going biggg man.   shop around more tho    I paid like 45 bux for my tb.   
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »

Cheap (yes, 100$ for a new TB is cheap) crap no name parts from ebay are not better than the OE TB on your extremely well designed 4G63.

Non-OE throttlebodies are a nightmare at any price.

They are not "simpler with less to go wrong" as some people seem to get into their heads, they are un-precise devices that are only meant to belong on cars that spend all of their time either OFF or at full throttle.

You will never get your car to idle right without the OE throttlebody. If it's broken or leaking then fix it.

They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Robert Vorley

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:34 pm »
After years of mulling over the choices I decided to go with a bored 1g tb with the half-shaft mod and new seals.

Daily driving and the 1g's ability to support my power goals were the deciding factors. As Remi says, fix the leaks. Large tb's are much harder to modulate for city driving.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:40:19 am by Robert Vorley »
1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »
I don't even think my TB is messed, I was just looking at one to eliminate a possible problem...

Im no longer interested in this ebay one after all Ive heard...