Author Topic: Battery shorted out on a wrench, now car won't start.  (Read 17749 times)

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
Re: Battery shorted out on a wrench, now car won't start.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »
Good catch guys I thought it was just dirt, but that does look like a short for sure.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

• Mobility Consultants Group
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:47 pm »
So lordco wants $384 for a new isc... Ebay its only $60 so I guess that's what it will be... Damn... 2 week wait...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 05:58:24 pm »
www.dsmisc.com

good service, brand new, the new updated ones too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:49 pm »
Mikael did you read my post?

You should still get a start even with a bad ISC. I would be more worried about that first. Leave it out and try and start your car. It will run like shit, but it should still start. Hell, even restrict the hole a bit.

Fix that ECU short!

I have one for a 1G ::)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:21:02 pm by Chad Giffen »
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 08:27:33 pm »
Yeah I did read your post, I've been following this really closely.

I have the ECU out of the car, I was planning on getting a new ISC, as I needed one anyways, and trying to start it. Due to the odd nature of the break Im just hoping that it bunt out in the closed position preventing me from starting.

I dont hold any belief that its going to work though...

After I get the ICS and throttle body all back together, I'll open up the ECU again and clean off the contacts and see if that helps.

I dont even really want to try to start it again tho until I have a new ISC and that ECU cleaned all in there hooked up properly.

Is there any chance that if the cleaning of the ECU doesnt work that it can blow my brand new ISC?

Offline Remi Raymond

• In a 12 step program
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »
Mikael did you read my post?

You should still get a start even with a bad ISC. I would be more worried about that first. Leave it out and try and start your car. It will run like shit, but it should still start. Hell, even restrict the hole a bit.

Fix that ECU short!

I have one for a 1G ::)

It was pointed out the isc wouldn't prevent starting, but a bad one will damage any ecu put into the car until it's replaced so he can't attempt starting until then.
They're like expensive pokemon... gotta catch 'em all.

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2011, 10:40:41 pm »
Are u able to post a better pic of the problem area on the back of your ECU?   That definitely looks like a short.    and dont stress about the ISC too much....  your car will run without it. like chad said. definitely get a new one tho.   The ISC just bypasses air past your throttle body allowing your car to settle at idle.  So you may have to peddle it a bit to keep it alive.  My car has no ISC. Not a great mod... lol  but I didnt do it.  The car runs fine because of its tune tho. occasionally it will stumble but it aint no thang.   Make sure your ECU is fine for sure before you put it back in and try to start the car.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:42:36 pm by Jordan Kruger »
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:47 pm »
as I have been trying to say as well...

If you are so set on it being the ISC, put the ECU back in, and open the throttle a wee bit, and try to fire it.  If its just the ISC, you will get it to fire, it just may not idle well or at all.  But it will fire up with a little bit of throttle pedal.

If you have no spark, its not your ISC causing the no start.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 12:29:16 am »
Yep, Im working on getting a new ECU all together, I just figured I wanted to try it with the new ISC, but obviously thats not the problem and theres a bigger underlying issue.

Now I just really really hope that it IS the ECU and not like, the spark plug power transistor or something. But I guess I could test parts and pieces all day long
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:35:12 am by Mikael Mikkelsen »

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 08:46:30 am »
no thats what we are trying to get you not to do.

Offline Jason Harwood

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 11:40:04 am »
I've mostly skipped everything said in here to ask - do the 1G's not have a ECU Fuse / Relay that could have blown.
88' MX6 Turbo - 14.2 @ 97.51MPH
94' MX6 V6 - 13.9 @ 96.7MPH
93' Civic Turbo - 14.7 @ 90MPH (bad tune)
90' Civic SI - Auto-X Machine
97' Eclipse GSX 13.6 @ 105MPH
96' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
97' Acura EL 14.5 @ 98MPH
'02 Lexus IS300 15.125 @ 91MPH
97' CR-V Winter Beater.
04' WRB WRX STI

Offline Constantin Morosan

• 95 Eclipse turbo
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »
don't mean to jake  this thread but  what are the  symptoms  of  a faulty ISC ?

I mean i have been having issue with my car dying  when i step on it hard in a turn .. like DEAD no throtle reaction .. but all electronics are ok.

that little issue almost cause  a crash at the  Fraser valley tour .. so  just wondering  if this ICS could cause such a problem . car starts fine drives fine !

i took mine out and its pretty black and dirty :S

sorry if im jaking this thread thought it may be related

thanks
Help us Obi John Kenobi you're our only hope ..

Obi-John Kenobi? 

OMG.

Offline Graeme H Burvill

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:43 pm »
Is the coil pack not located near the throttle body, if i recall its kinda tucked in to the intake manifold. You said you had no spark, and smoke from that area. All you need is a multimeter to test the coil pack i believe. Though i would test your ecu pronto to verify if it is good or not.
Talon TSI-Champagne...She must live again...

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:47 pm »
I mean i have been having issue with my car dying  when i step on it hard in a turn .. like DEAD no throtle reaction .. but all electronics are ok.

Unrelated.  (IMO)  I would think critical sensor or wiring : cam sensor, crank sensor, MAF.

Offline Mikael Mikkelsen

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 07:38:48 pm »
Ok I got another picture of the back of the ECU, I had to borrow a camera to get a good enough shot.

I really don't understand what I should be doing then. I thought everyone was telling me to get a new ECU and that was what the problem was, but now I get setup to buy one and thats not what I should be doing? please help!