Author Topic: I stripped my fuel filter line. Where should I get this fixed?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Seanathon Morphy

• My old car website
Last summer I replaced my fuel filter. The part store gave me the wrong fuel filter that looked almost identical to the original. So when my buddy and I tried to put it on it wouldn’t fit properly. We took it back and the guy apologized for giving me the wrong one and gave me the correct one. We put it on and everything was fine for a couple weeks. Then one night the car started shaking and then wouldn’t run properly. I noticed gas dripping down from the fuel filter area while it was running. I turned it off and it has been sitting in my garage since last August. My assumption is we stripped the fuel line and it needs to be replaced.

I now want to get it fixed, so my question is “Where in Victoria should I take my Talon to get a new fitting on the fuel line?”

Any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Sean
1997 Eagle Talon TSi
EVO 16G Turbo with a big flapper, upgraded w/g, ceramic coated turbine
2G Kinetic Front Mounted Intercooler
Walbaro 255lph high pressure fuel pump
K & N FIPK
1st Gen Blow-off Valve
Marc Hallman manual boost controller
Fuel pump hardwired
3" Apex’I N1 Cat-back stainless steel exhaust
Upper intercooler pipe
30 PSI Autometer Phantom boost gauge
Greddy Turbo timer

Offline Shane Sawatzki

Re: I stripped my fuel filter line. Where should I get this fixed?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »
I would make sure you put the copper washers on the banjo bolt, also did you put new ones in when you changed it? If not I wouldnt be surprised if thats where its leaking from. I dont think it would be too easy to strip those fittings. But if you did im pretty sure your gunna be replacing the whole line.
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:36:40 pm »
+1, get new correct sized copper crush washers for that fitting. You are not supposed to reuse those, but you can get away with it sometimes.  Looks like you didn't, but no biggie.

It also has to be pretty tight. There is a spot for a large wrench on the filter itself so you can hold it while you tighten(or loosen) the 17mm banjo bolt nut.  If you are just using the bracket and fuel lines to hold it, you are probably not getting enough torque on that to crush the washers correctly.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:07:22 pm »
The bottom fitting of the filter from the tank or the top going to the fuel rail?

If you stripped the top part of the line and wrecked it, the fix is pretty cheap, can get a braided SS filter to rail line for $60.

Oddly enough when I bought my fuel pressure reg with install kit, I got a filter to rail braided SS line kit instead of the install kit for the fuel pressure reg. I was planning to just send it back in exchange for the right parts, but if you need it, I can hold on to it, that way I don't have to bother shipping it back, and you don't have to pay the shipping to get one to you.

Kit has a new crush washer.
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:34:41 pm »
hes probably refuring to the bottom fitting... its a compression fitting on a hard line (line brake hard lines attack) It attaches into the bottom of the fuel filter... no banjo fitting

So if that compression fitting is not super tight it can definalty leak gas.

I would first try and see if you can tighten the fitting a little bit... if it still leaks then take it off and inspect the threads on the part of the fitting that spins... and make sure where the flare on the line is still in good shape.. If it all looks good then try to put it back together again... if it still leaks try another brand of fuel filter... if it still leaks then you *might* be able to cut the line off (hard cuz of sparks) and re-do the flair... but thats going to be a pain in the ass.  At that point it might be easier to change the whole fuel line that goes under the body of the car to rubber lines w/ AN fittings.
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:51:26 pm »
or, cut it off, cut one off another car, and attach the good one to your car with a short section of rubber fuel line.  double clamp/slight flare on the steel lines and it will work and hold no problem. 
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Joliesa Lepp

• 1993 tsi awd - big 16g, fmic, meth... head.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 06:34:46 pm »
easier yet,

get a brass (or steel) inverted flare fitting  with a hose barb that fits in the fuel filter,
slide the wrecked nut down the stock fuel line an inch or so,
use some carbcleaner to slide a short piece of efi hose on the steel line over the flare,
slide the barbed fitting into this hose,
secure the hose with fuel injection clamps,
install the fuel filter the same as normal.

good luck!
Outta the game!

Offline Seanathon Morphy

• My old car website
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:41:57 pm »
Thanks for all the responses everyone :) Classes are ending this week so now it is time to focus my attention on getting my car running again.
The filter came with a new copper crush washer, which we did put on.
It sounds like maybe we didn't tighten it enough when we put it on. It was really difficult to get wrenches in there. But I thought that I watched my buddy really tighten it.
It just seems strange to me that it ran perfectly for a couple weeks before it started leaking.
Is there a way to gain access to the fuel filter from under the car? Having to take out the battery and everything else is such a pain in the butt.

Would anyone be able to come over and help me with it? or even just take a quick look to see what the problem actually is? It is parked in an underground parking area at my condo but I only have a very small toolkit and not enough knowledge to fix/diagnose anything myself.
I am a student but willing to pay :) My only other option is to have it towed it to a shop.
1997 Eagle Talon TSi
EVO 16G Turbo with a big flapper, upgraded w/g, ceramic coated turbine
2G Kinetic Front Mounted Intercooler
Walbaro 255lph high pressure fuel pump
K & N FIPK
1st Gen Blow-off Valve
Marc Hallman manual boost controller
Fuel pump hardwired
3" Apex’I N1 Cat-back stainless steel exhaust
Upper intercooler pipe
30 PSI Autometer Phantom boost gauge
Greddy Turbo timer

Offline Paul Pigar

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:03 pm »
I don't think u can change fuel filter on 2g from the bottom. If it's awd, transfer case is in the way and the cross-member as well. I think only way to do it is remove battery, tray and bracket so you have more room.
-98 talon tsi awd   -94 acura integra non-vtec
-96 talon tsi awd converted to eclipse gsx
-95 talon esi(sold)
-94 eclipse non-turbo(sold)
-91 talon tsi fwd(daily driver)
-90 nissan 300zx(sold)
-96 eclipse gs spyder
-98 eclipse spyder awd swap
-98 eclipse gs-t(traded)