Author Topic: Anyone in Victoria have a external error code reader?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Seanathon Morphy

• My old car website
Anyone in Victoria have a external error code reader?
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:58:12 pm »
Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone might be able to read the error code on my check engine light. I had it checked a couple months ago and the garage said that the error code didn't line up to anything in their books. I asked them for the code but they couldn't find where they write it down.

Cheers,

Seanathon
1997 Eagle Talon TSi
EVO 16G Turbo with a big flapper, upgraded w/g, ceramic coated turbine
2G Kinetic Front Mounted Intercooler
Walbaro 255lph high pressure fuel pump
K & N FIPK
1st Gen Blow-off Valve
Marc Hallman manual boost controller
Fuel pump hardwired
3" Apex’I N1 Cat-back stainless steel exhaust
Upper intercooler pipe
30 PSI Autometer Phantom boost gauge
Greddy Turbo timer

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Anyone in Victoria have a external error code reader?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
You could maybe try 5252 Motorsports. They *might* be able to help you out.

I've got a datalogger that can pull codes, but mine's wired into the car and isn't easily transferrable.
If you plan on keeping the car for a while, look into getting an old palmpilot and MMCD or Pocket Logger with the appropriate cables... Full setup shouldn't cost you any more than a couple hundred bucks all in.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:46 am »
Its a 1g correct?   They can send out the codes in "voltage" pulses.  Use a simple cheap $5 analog (has a needle) and you jumper two pins on the OBDI connector.  Then connect the analog multimeter to a ground and a wire in the obdI connector as well and turn the key on.  It will do long pulses for the first digit of the code and short pulses for the second digit.  From there u match the code to a description (check www.vfaq.com for the codes) .

Or do what cam says and get a palm pilot and mmcd.   Way better!   They can read the codes plus give you engine data stream and much more!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline KevinBuckham

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:04 pm »
Assuming his signature is correct he has a 2G, meaning OBD2 assuming factory ECU.

I have an old OBD2 code reader (ElmScan 5) but I can't find the cable among our pile of J1939 crap.  If I come across it I'll post back.  Somewhere at home I have an even older OBD2.com scanner from about 2001.

Two other options:
- they are dirt cheap online : http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15707381
- http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoTools/AutoCodeReaders.jsp