Author Topic: 2gb cigarette lighter question  (Read 1866 times)

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

2gb cigarette lighter question
« on: September 26, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
mine stopped working a while back. I use it for usb charging and would like to have it work again.

question is, does it have it's own specific fuse I can check? I'm hoping it's easy as that as I don't really want to take out the centre console to get into it to check loose wire or something...otherwise if nothing really, then I guess i'll just have to do that.

tia
mark

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
Re: 2gb cigarette lighter question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 09:17:10 am »
sometimes they just get loose inside.  Check for power with a test light first (or simply hold a cigarette lighter in the socket for 10-20 seconds).  With the power off you can bend the bottom tab up a bit to make better contact with the usb adapter. the sides can also be manipulated if needed.  obviously, if there is no power at the socket you should check fuses with the test light. 

If you want, I can customize a permanent usb port for you elsewhere in the car.

Later
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »
yeah.i still have the cigarette lighter.. it doesn't work even when I push it so I assume there's no power.

is there one fuse for JUST the cigarette lighter? or is the cigarette lighter connected to something as well so I can at least pin point that it's JUST the lighter and not whatever circuit it's connected to.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:25:43 am »
yeah.i still have the cigarette lighter.. it doesn't work even when I push it so I assume there's no power.

is there one fuse for JUST the cigarette lighter? or is the cigarette lighter connected to something as well so I can at least pin point that it's JUST the lighter and not whatever circuit it's connected to.

did you get it fixed yet?

Couple quick tests ( assuming you have no test equipment )

Try opening the console and disconnecting the positive wire from the lighter ..... find a way to just ground it out and this should make the fuse pop.  Of course, I would think, that you may have checked the fuses already to see if it's good.
  If this works, I would assume you just have corrosion on the center positive contact.  Wrap a little sand paper up and use it to clean the center button.

Also, try flexing the negative terminals in on the side of the housing to give a firmer contact to the lighter or adapter.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:54 am »
haven't fixed yet but will def try this. thanks!

Offline Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »
Looks like fuse 15 in your Junction Block for the cigarette lighter. Make sure that nothing is jammed in the plug to short it out . How did it stop working ? Just noticed it one day while getting into our car one morning ?

Offline marQ_deLa_cruz

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:44:29 am »
yeah.. I use a USB charger for it and one day, just stopped working  :-\