Author Topic: Putting my dsm back on the road.  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Ryan Singh

Putting my dsm back on the road.
« on: August 18, 2017, 11:18:31 pm »
It's been parked since early 2014 (right after being built by RG).

I have started it a few times since then but it's been sitting in a garage for about 2 years and now outside under a cover for almost year. It has only 90 or so km on the new motor since the build...basically driven from Poco to Surrey and that's it.

Do I need to replace ALL fluids? I know in a perfect world, the answer would be yes....but I can't afford to do that right now so I'm wondering what are the absolute musts that I need to do before firing it up? The last time it was started was back in Sept or Oct.

I've been told to pull the plugs and then turn the key to get everything lubricated but I want to know what other options I have.

RG told me that after getting it home, put about 750km on it with as much hi and low rpm as possible to break it in nicely; then bring it back for them to do an oil change and check if there is any metal in it as well as give it a proper tune. That all makes total sense to me but I still have questions.

My common sense is telling me not to try starting it like that...but to roll it like 15ft instead....and then try. What do you think?

BTW...after driving it, if I don't get that lovin' feelin' back from it then I will be selling it. First I need to drive it though because it's been a really long time and I am planning on making it my DD again.

Also, does anyone know if Tariq is still at RG?

Thanks,
Ryan
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:21:38 pm by Ryan Singh »
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Putting my dsm back on the road.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:03:39 am »
I guess that partly depends on what condition things are in.

Priorities in my head would be (in order)
-Oil change. Pull MPI fuse and pull spark plugs. Turn it over with the starter in 10-20 second bursts a few times to prime the motor with oil. If you're still on break in miles then that second oil change is still going to come at the same mileage. You might be on dino oil rather than synthetic for those break in miles.
-Fuel. Was it stablilized? If not, you'll probably want to drain and fill the gas with something fresh. Even if it was stabilized.... yeah.
-Check belt condition, particularly timing.

If it all checks out from there, and it runs well enough to start DD'ing it then I'd flush the brake fluid (it's hydroscopic), change the coolant, and look at gear oils (depending what you're using, if synthetic they could probably be passed over). You may find that if the brake rotors are badly rusted or pitted that they'll require replacement (or a turn on the brake lathe). If you're counting on your brake pads to knock off heavy corrosion you may find yourself with screwed up brake pads and screwed up rotors as iron oxide is harder than your brake pad material.
If your battery has been sitting for three years it may also be marginal... Leave room in the budget for it!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:06:48 am by CamWeiss »
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:53:24 pm »
Honestly..... you don't have to change all the fluids just to start it up.  Everything should be in good condition.

Here's what i think;

Use a half inch drive wrench with a short extension and with the transmission in neutral, turn the crank by hand a few revolutions to ensure that nothing is sticking.  (never had an issue with a fuel injected motor)

Like Cam said.... pull MPI fuse and crank the motor over once or twice

Reinstall MPI.... car should fire right up.

Drive it for a bit to burn off the fuel in the tank and then add some fresh gas.

Do an oil change at some point in the next few hundred Kms.  (Most likely at RG so they can inspect)

That is all.

Easy Peasy.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:51:54 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I will keep that all in mind. No the fuel wasn't stabilized and I haven't gotten around to the car yet, soon though...maybe this weekend.

Thanks and let me know if you think of anything else.
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:42:44 am »
Thanks guys, the advice helped.

A couple weeks ago I threw in some new gas...the tank was practically dry anyway when I parked it. Pulled the plugs and the engine fuse, turned it a few times and after it was all back together it fired up no problem and ran just like it did right after the build.

I appreciate the help.
Ryan
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:58 pm »
good to hear.  If you're out for a rip one day and find yourself in
mission feel free to stop in.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter