Author Topic: Good Tranny Shop  (Read 252 times)

Offline Patryk Holowienko

Good Tranny Shop
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:05:23 pm »
anyone know of a good shop to get a Translab Shift Kit installed into my spyder?

Thanks
003 BMW 325CI Coupe Sport

Offline Ryan Lore

Good Tranny Shop
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 11:01:34 pm »
The translab kit is not rocket science.

The kit looks intimidating but installs in a couple hours even if you don't have a clue
I recommend the heaviest springs and the biggest drill sizes (make it easier for the installer and go buy the required bits from KMS)

The trick is keeping track of where the bolts go by drawing a pattern and sticking them into cardboard

Do not break the manual valve, or be prepared to wait for one from the states. (it's cheap and made of pot metal, and yes I have thrown out a "2 piece" valve)

There is a faq on how to do it and also while you're at it, upgrade the end clutch. (faq on that too)

Finally buy 9 liters of fancy tranny fluid, a pan gasket and filter. (that'll be 200bucks before you know it, the fluid should be about 150.) Choose a service kit that doesn't use a cork pan gasket, it will leak.

I'd expect to pay a tranny shop (ie Berts on Kingsway, Vancouver) 3-4 hrs labour for the install of the end clutch and shift kit.

The whole job can be done with basic hand tools and the car on jack stands.