Author Topic: Would this fit  (Read 848 times)

jasonphan

Would this fit
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:58:45 pm »
Would 225/35/19 fit on 1gb with 38 off set?. I have estimate 2 k/m off,if i was going  60 k/m. :)

Offline CamWeiss

Re: Would this fit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:48 pm »
Quoting myself from another thread.

Offset is a measure of where the wheel mounts to the hub. It's measured from the center of the wheel (+/-0 offset) inwards (-xx offset, 'deep dish'), or outwards (+xx), typically in millimeters.

As such, a +46mm offset on your stock wheels will have a different distance from the mounting face to the inside of the wheel than, for example, a +46mm offset on a 16 by 8" wheel.

This is leading to me saying that wheel diameter is independent of offset. You needn't worry about the diameter of the wheel (within reason) so much as the width.
17*6... Sure. Stock +46mm offset.
17*7... Should theoretically be a +58 mm offset (46mm + 12.7mm, given that the inch wider wheel is split in two for each side of the centerline and there are 25.4mm to an inch).

Continue as needed for wider wheels, though 17*8 will be as wide as you can go, I think, and that depends on tire size. And offset.

A 17*7 wheel with anything around +50mm offset SHOULD do the trick, but you will want a 215 or 225 tire on there. I've got 16*6.5" wheels, not sure of the offset, with 225/50-16" tires (that have quite a wide section width even for a 225), and I can fit my index finger in the tightest clearances.

(Your mileage may vary, depending on the tire and wheel. Do your own math or play it safe, don't take my word as gospel)
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 09:28:55 am »
Would 225/35/19 fit on 1gb with 38 off set?. I have estimate 2 k/m off,if i was going  60 k/m. :)

im going to have to say no...I have 18's with 215/35zr18 tires and if my car was lowered there wouldnt be much clearance....my friend has a 1gb with 225/40/18's and he doesnt have alot of clearance.

18s is as big as u could go i think, and even with 18's take it from me, 35 series tires on these cars are awesome if your a highway/ nice road driver, or even drag racing wouldnt be bad.

BUT ANY BUMPY OLD ROAD WITH LOTS OF BUMPS, tree roots, pot holes, washboard, etc etc...it is a BUMP fuckin ride. I couldnt keep up with cam weiss thru some bump as roads at our island meet...and his car is pretty much stock...lol i felt ashamed... but hes got normal sized tires on and he is after all an autocrosser... lol (cam next meet i might have to put on the stockers so i can keep up with yah lol)
2011 Range Rover Sport SC - wife’s daily
1995 Range Rover Classic - restoration project
1990 Mitsubishi Delica - my daily
92 Skyline GTR - weekend warrior
93 Skyline GTR - wife’s weekend warrior
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

patrickWoo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 10:55:46 am »
LOL really? My 215/35/18 isn't giving me any trouble with bumpy roads. But then I'm running Bilstein shocks and OE+30% springs...

Offset is a measure of where the wheel mounts to the hub. It's measured from the center of the wheel (+/-0 offset) inwards (-xx offset, 'deep dish'), or outwards (+xx), typically in millimeters.

As such, a +46mm offset on your stock wheels will have a different distance from the mounting face to the inside of the wheel than, for example, a +46mm offset on a 16 by 8" wheel.

This is leading to me saying that wheel diameter is independent of offset. You needn't worry about the diameter of the wheel (within reason) so much as the width.
17*7... Should theoretically be a +58 mm offset (46mm + 12.7mm, given that the inch wider wheel is split in two for each side of the centerline and there are 25.4mm to an inch).

Continue as needed for wider wheels, though 17*8 will be as wide as you can go, I think, and that depends on tire size. And offset.

A 17*7 wheel with anything around +50mm offset SHOULD do the trick, but you will want a 215 or 225 tire on there. I've got 16*6.5" wheels, not sure of the offset, with 225/50-16" tires (that have quite a wide section width even for a 225), and I can fit my index finger in the tightest clearances.

(Your mileage may vary, depending on the tire and wheel. Do your own math or play it safe, don't take my word as gospel)

that's bonkus. If your original setup is 17X6 +46 then you obtain 17x7 your offset should be SMALLER because you have half an inch that's protruding the inside of the wheel well. If it's 17x7 from a 17x6 +46 you need 17x7 +42 (46mm minus half an inch) and that will put your wheels' centerline about where the original ones were, what you need to worry then is whether the outside will rub. and if you need 17x8 go get 17x8 +38 .....and so forth.

in a 2G Eclipse it's the inside that's going to rub if you go wide. Outside you can always do flairs or rolling fenders to get that 1" or less clearance you otherwise don't have. You can't bend control arms LOL.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:59:43 am by patrickWoo »

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 11:39:02 am »
LOL really? My 215/35/18 isn't giving me any trouble with bumpy roads. But then I'm running Bilstein shocks and OE+30% springs...

that's bonkus. If your original setup is 17X6 +46 then you obtain 17x7 your offset should be SMALLER because you have half an inch that's protruding the inside of the wheel well. If it's 17x7 from a 17x6 +46 you need 17x7 +42 (46mm minus half an inch) and that will put your wheels' centerline about where the original ones were, what you need to worry then is whether the outside will rub. and if you need 17x8 go get 17x8 +38 .....and so forth.

in a 2G Eclipse it's the inside that's going to rub if you go wide. Outside you can always do flairs or rolling fenders to get that 1" or less clearance you otherwise don't have. You can't bend control arms LOL.

kyb agx's as stiff as possible. lol with those size tires...
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Matt Mann

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:46:07 pm »
Probably the BEST way to know if they will fit is a) someone has the exact same spec of wheel or b) to slap them on the car and see if they work. I run 225/40/18 on my 1G. I don't know if any of this helps. But Testing them out is probably the best.
1993 Black NT (RIP)
1990 Champayne TSI FWD
1995 Black NT (SOLD)

Offline Zach Holt

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
the rims, they will fit, but the rubber... your rubber will rub when you trun. test fit take it around the block very slowly or just push it by hand. Thats way way way tobig for a 1g 2Gs it would fix but 1 would be pushing it hard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi
Then google.
Then read old postings about it.
Then ask.

jasonphan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:27:07 pm »
I'm asking because i have two tires, haven't test fit it yet. But  thinking of buying the other two :). Thanks guys i'll try to test fit the 2 i have and keep u guys posted.

Offline CamWeiss

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

Whoops. Midnight calculations aren't a good thing.
Objects in mirrors appear to be losing.

'92 6/4
'86 325e
'72 240z
'76 R75/6
'07 KTM 640 ADV

jasonphan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:58:46 pm »
Got it mounted, and it fit perfect. The down side to this wheels is that, it weight 49 lbs each .So the whole thing is going to weight 196 lbs. Btw how much does stock 1gb wheels weight? My car is lowered 2 inches and i still got 2 finger space in there :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:06:18 pm by jasonphan »

Offline Shane Sawatzki

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:14 pm »
 :o have you locked the steering up and driven in a circle? I didnt think 19's would fit properly.
91 Skyline GTS-4 - Sold
91 Tsi AWD - Sold

Offline Chad Giffen

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:01:43 pm »
I thiknk 17's look the best anyways.

The ass of the car just sticks up to much with 18's or higher I think. They just look weird.
1993 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Electric Blue
Evo III 16g
Stock Boost

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:42 pm »
yes, now drive around a tight corner with some bumps in it.  Then do it faster.  Just because it doesn't hit the fender stopped with the wheels straight ahead doesn't mean they fit  ;)

Also, a stock 1g wheel weighs 22 lbs.  most good aftermarket ones are between 15-18 lbs for 17"  You can get used RX-7 wheels(FD) that weight 13lbs each.

I forget the exact math on this, but one lbs at the outside of that large circle is equal to about 5 lbs on board the car.  Or more, I may be wrong. It also kills your ride quality due to huge unsprung weight.  If the energy the bump is putting into your suspension cannot move the wheel easily, it will move the whole car instead.  But thats only one side effect.

See, your engine has to work against not only the larger lever arm of that 19" wheel and tire combination, but it has to turn all that extra weight ON that long lever arm.  You know when you get a real tight lug nut on your car?  What do you do, you get a big ass pipe and put it on the end of your wrench.  This gives you more leverage.  And if you still can't get it off, you jump on it.  Why?  To put more weight on that lever.  Your 19" wheels are working against you with those same 2 principles.  Only they are doing it on all 4 wheels. Now if you take the difference in wheel and tire combos and express it as lbs/feet(mass on the end of a distance gives you force, usually expressed as torque).  Yes, this is written simply, not as a formula or in engineering terms, but simply to be understood.

Now, this is not just bad for forward acceleration(and it will slow you down for sure) but it will kill your braking, your handling and your fuel economy too.  Braking because your brakes have to fight that large lever to stop the slowing down of that rotating mass.  Handling because the geometry of your suspension is all out of whack and because the extra mass on the end of it is much harder to move than the spring and shock rates are setup for.  And mileage because your engine has to work that much harder to get it all up to speed.  Its worse than if you just tossed the big wheels and tires inside the car.  Much worse.

But you can say that you got 19" wheels to fit in your 1g wheel wells and I didn't  :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

jasonphan

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 08:01:30 am »
Thanks i'll keep that in mind,but i'll drive it couple days to see if the car settle down. I'll wait to see if there's problem.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 09:44:31 am »
why wouldn't they fit as long as they are only 8" wide and the tire size is like a 35 series ( at least on a 2G thats the size ) then they should fit with no more issues than an 18 at 40 series or 17 at 45  or am I missing something? I understand John's point and it is very true, but for actual fit and function I don't see why you couldn't use a 19" wheel
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3