Author Topic: Im new...Just a Couple Q's  (Read 533 times)

Adam Baker

Im new...Just a Couple Q's
« on: February 09, 2004, 07:35:04 pm »
Hey...

Im new to the forum and Talons....I have a 240sx and was going to do the whole Sr20det swap, but my friend from this forum got me intrested in Talons, and i get enuf of them lol...Im shopping around right now for my first talon...Anyways, i have a couple questions (Sorry if some q's are dumb, im pretty green)

1) What does "4 bolt or 6 bolt" mean? I hear people talk about his with the 91 and 92's

2) What is a boost controller? What are the types of gagues for ur turbo?

3) Exhaust systems...This might be a hard question to answer sorry...But, What are Cuttouts and borla plates?

4) What is a Downpipe?

Thats it for now....Thanx in advance for any help you can give...

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
Re: Im new...Just a Couple Q's
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 07:44:26 pm »
To make it simple

6 bolt is a block type - they are unlikely to crankwalk like the 7-bolts. It is the # of bolts used on the flywheel - up to yr 92.5 they were used.

4 bolt is the AWD rear I believe - It is LSD (not sure since I am fwd)

Boost controller lets you turn up the boost your turbo puts out

Exhaust systems are lower restriction replacements to stock exhaust for more flow = more power
Mendrel 3" is best for flow, but louder and more expensive.

Down pipe is first part of the exhaust from the O2 to the cat
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 07:58:03 pm »
*cough*

"Announcement: Please read before posting"

*cough*

It's the first topic in this forum (the garage) and it is a sticky.  It contains links to the VFAQ, 1000FAQ and some others, read them, live them, love them.  It won't make you a seasoned DSM veteran, but you won't be green anymore when you're done.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:48:19 pm »
Except maybe green from nausea and knowing too much. heh.

Adam Baker

Perfect
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 10:30:14 pm »
Thanx guys...Yea i must of missed the sticky  :roll: lol

Offline Andrew Scott

Re: Im new...Just a Couple Q's
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 12:15:02 am »
Quote from: "Adam Baker"
3) Exhaust systems...This might be a hard question to answer sorry...But, What are Cuttouts and borla plates?

I'm guessing you're reading our post about the group buy on exhaust cutouts...

What most of us DSM'ers do with our exhausts is put a straight 3" tube through, to reduce restriction. This is good for power but bad for going through aircare, as we don't usually run cats (I'm not speaking for myself here, as I haven't been through aircare in a long time).

Most of us when we go to air care have to get under our cars, take out our test pipe (hollow pipe we use in place of a catalytic converter), and put in a actual real life cat. Just for 10 minutes on the aircare dyno.

A better solution to this is what you call a cutout. We keep our cat and restrictive muffler in place, and put in a Y pipe just before the catalytic converter. When you want to be quiet and clean, you put an 'electronic cutout' or 'borla plate' over the open hole in the y pipe, causing all the exhaust gas to take its usual route through the catalytic converter and through the muffler. When you want to be loud and fast, you pull off this plug and the exhaust gas will just go through your downpipe and out the open end of the Y, completly bypassing the catalytic converter and muffler. This is because there is less resistance going straight to atmosphere through the open Y than being forced through the cat.

Hope this clears it up
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Alex Ng

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 01:04:27 am »
this answers ur exhaust Cutout question. http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mppdemo.wmv
heres the website! http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm