Author Topic: Exhaust Question!  (Read 796 times)

Adam Baker

Exhaust Question!
« on: February 24, 2004, 01:19:30 pm »
Hey...

ABot 2 years ago i picked up an exhaust for my mazda, and it cost me around 220$...I got it from lordco (heres the site of the same basic one) http://www.shophyperformance.com/store/000476.html?id=YYYGJfGu

now, im getting a stock 92 Talon TSI, and was wondering if it was even worth putting on?

Also, what is the best exaust system i can get for a 92 Talon (around 300 bucks)? and where and how much will it run me?

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Exhaust Question!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 01:43:39 pm »
If the inlet on that muffler is less than 2.5" then no it's not worth it.

By exhaust system what do you mean? Just muffler? Catback?
A FULL system for your car will run you about  $800-$1000

You might want to talk to Jordan Gladman (member of this club) if you're on a tight budget. If he's still doing it, it's good work at low cost. You could try www.lr-racing.com too. You want mandrel bent. Say it with me...Mandrel. good! either 2.5" or 3" depending on how much you plan to do with your car.

Hope that helps

PS welcome to the club 8)

OH WAIT, You're in Nanaimo. :P There are no good places to get exhaust made there. :laugh: That's why I made my own. It might be better to ask this in the island section of the club (hiding at bottom of forum index)

P.S. Do I know you? Revscene maybe?

Adam Baker

Hey
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 05:22:35 pm »
Thanx for the reply man....And no im not from revscene...

Ok, lets say i have a stock talon TSI 92, what the best bang for the buck in terms for pipe and exhaust...Like i was thinking 2.5", Mandrel...What do u all think? im just curious...what would a 3" sound like? (im new) would it sound like a ricer, or a crackle sound? lol

I have about 300 or just over 300 to spend on my exhaust system...Thanx guys

Offline Wayne Barbaza

Exhaust Question!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 05:38:32 pm »
hey Adam,

3" will sound deep.  lots of bass, not ricey or raspy.  The turbo does a good job of restricting sound levels.  I just got a 3" system, all straight through, with the hiflow cat being the biggest restriction.  I thought I'd need a resonator, but turns out I don't.  It's more quiet than I expected when you're not boosting.

also, if you're buying locally $300 can probably get you just the muffler and cat... maybe buying used is your best bet.

-w

Troy Simkus

Exhaust Question!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 05:47:07 pm »
if you get a really good deal on a muffler you can get a 2.5 or 3" press-bent catback custom made for around $300

Offline Merlin Beerens

Exhaust Question!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 06:00:07 pm »
im with troy...get yourself a muff...and just get a 2.5 pressbent....itll do the job just fine...thats what i had before my 3".

just to add borla muffs sound good!
url=http://gallery78402.fotopic.net/c223558.html]1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD[/url]

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Exhaust Question!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 06:47:49 pm »
Since you obviously shop at Lordco I should give you one of our discount cards. (30%+ on most items)

I'll PM you with the account number to use until I can meet up with you.

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Exhaust Question!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 11:05:01 pm »
My muffler and 2.5" pressbent catback cost me $410 i think i may have gotten a little ripped off.
Maybe Jeremy should go into making some 3" mandrel exhausts for us Island DSM'ers  :D
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Adam Baker

Ok
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 08:34:09 am »
Thanx guys

Now, im going to take ur advice and just start with a 2.5 pressbent and a new muffler...Now what kind of muffler does everyone think is the best...I know i need to get a straight flow design, but whats the best bang for the buck?

PS....What other starter mods can i do? Im getting the exhaust first, and some gauges...(What gauges should i get?)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
Exhaust Question!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 10:22:01 am »
BOOST! Gauge should be your first gauge you should get.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Adam Baker

Yea
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2004, 10:47:21 am »
Boost gauge for sure...Where can i pick up one of those? and what one is pretty good?

And, should i get my self a turbo timer?

Offline Michael Cummings

Exhaust Question!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2004, 06:20:37 pm »
I stand by autometer, they have good quality and have alot of diff styles to suit you or your car.  They are fairly pricy, but you want a good one.  I got a 30psi autometer phantom guage on ebay for like 65 cdn or sumtin after shippin and stuff.
As far as should you get a turbo timer, you dont need one thats for sure.  But they are nice little things to have, most likely have a longer living turbo, because then you cant forget to let the car idle after hard ride.  Also people think your car is the craziest car when they walk by and it turns off on its own.  
Id say you should get a turbo timer, but others think its a waste of money.  I personally didn't like sittin in the car and waitin, you look kinda dumb sometimes too.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Wayne Barbaza

Exhaust Question!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 06:34:08 pm »
for me, I think the best thing about the turbo timer is when people say 'hey you left the car on,' and I walk away saying 'i know'.....hehe.

as for longer lasting turbos, I've been told timers are not needed because letting the car idle after a hard run is not the best way to cool down the turbo.  best way is to be moving (ie. drive slow and easy 5 minutes before you know your going to park it) .... thats why I only have my timer on for 30 seconds, so I still get the coolness factor  :D