Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 1098 times)

Adam Hume

is this normal?
« on: February 06, 2005, 12:16:48 am »
just installed a boost gauge, it will move up to 14 psi, and then when i shift, it shoots up to like 18psi. This is pretty much stock engine except k&n, mbc, and free mods???

Offline James Coutu

is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 12:52:51 am »
i lknow mine doesnt do that
8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
is this normal?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 02:28:00 am »
Will it stay at 18?

If it just shoots to 18 momentarily it is called a boost spike and is often caused by the mbc or other various problems. If you do a search for boost spike you will find what you need to know.

Offline mike griffin

is this normal?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 09:17:33 am »
14psi stock? or with the mbc i gave you? if its in, try taking it out and see what happens, and check your wastegate actuator hose.
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline John Hartman

is this normal?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 09:21:35 am »
just after you get back on the gas  it does that?

if so, yep, boost spike.  Fairly common.  its a function of several things, that like stated above, if you search you will find answers.  Some are free/cheap(shorter mbc hoses) and some are expensive but worth it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Adam Hume

is this normal?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 11:32:33 am »
yea with the mbc you gave me...and it when i let off it will jump..

Offline mike griffin

is this normal?
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 11:52:46 am »
full throttle? part throttle? try taking out it out, and seeing if it spikes still. Try experimenting by turning it down a little too. My car did that when i first borrowed a friends boost gauge. I didnt even have a mbc, and i was running 10psi, and it would spike to 13 when i hammered on it and let off the gas. Then i changed some vacuum hoses and took out the BCS and it went away. Did you take out the BCS and plug the nipple coming out of the aircan like me and John said?

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
is this normal?
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 12:20:20 pm »
When you let off it will jump :shock:

Is your BOV connected? Is your boost guage on the right source?
I've never heard of boost going up when you get OFF the throttle :?

Offline Neil Fowlie

spike
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 12:54:30 pm »
I always though boost spike occured when you really floor it
and as the boost builds it will overshoot your set boost limit for a split second, then settle back down.

his boost is going up 4spi whenever he takes his off the gas
i think something is messed up with his gauge,

Offline John Hartman

is this normal?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 01:49:07 pm »
check what Jeremy said.  Especially check that your bov is correctly attached to the vacuum source.  Thats the only thing that I could think of that would show up as a raise in manifold pressure if you lift.

Also make sure you have correctly plumbed in your boost gauge.  If you get it on the wrong hose over there, or even on the wrong side, it will read incorrectly.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Adam Hume

is this normal?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 02:03:34 pm »
i connected the guage by teeing in on the vacuum hose coming off of the fuel pressure regulator. I removed the BCS, installed the MBC, one side going to the waste gate actuator other side i tee'd into the vacuum line running from the BOV to the intake. Then caped the hole left on the airbox and the turbo outlet.

Offline mike griffin

is this normal?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 02:36:57 pm »
i always experienced problems when tee'ing into the bov line. I run mine like this:

Turbo outlet nipple

3" of hose

MBC

8" of hose

Wastegate actuator nipple

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Adam Hume

is this normal?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 03:15:03 pm »
so take the tee out of the bov to intake line, then connect that hose to the turbo oulet nipple?

Offline John Hartman

is this normal?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 04:27:58 pm »
I've actually had better results with it on the bov line, but thats with more mods. When it was closer to stock, it was better on the outlet elbow.

Offline mike griffin

is this normal?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 05:45:10 pm »
Quote from: "Adam Hume"
so take the tee out of the bov to intake line, then connect that hose to the turbo oulet nipple?

no

take your bov line, and plug it into the bov, leave it alone (till you get more mods) Then take your wastegate actuator hose, and plug it into the mbc, and keep the 3" of hose on the mbc already, and plug that into the turbo outlet nipple.

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods